We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Advice in NS&I Figures.

Hope someone can advise if my figures are correct.

If I invest £250k in 3 year NSI Bond site calculator states I will receive £717.00 net per month. Approx £8604 per annum

I am a non tax payer and estimate that the net figure plus 20% equals £860.40 * 12 =£10324.80. I cannot work out what I may be able to reclaim per annum from the revenue. I think it may be the difference between £10324 and £8604 less 20%, making £1720.80 I will pay 20% tax on, (approx £344) though I am very unsure !:confused:

Sorry if my calcs are a bit wandered, I cannot get my head around this at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help ?

Thanks in advance.
«1

Comments

  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    There is a 10% band for tax on savings interest if this is your only income. But I don't understand it enough to tell you how to work it out. Someone else might though.
  • zogg
    zogg Posts: 153 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary
    Lokolo wrote: »
    There is a 10% band for tax on savings interest if this is your only income. But I don't understand it enough to tell you how to work it out. Someone else might though.
    Didn't know that. Thanks.

    Anybody else help with the figures ?

    Thanks
  • gozomark
    gozomark Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Assuming 20% tax rate, to go from net to gross you don't add on 20%, you add on 25% - ie 100/80
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,420 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    The answer will depend on your total income from earnings, pension, savings etc.....
    Stompa
  • zogg
    zogg Posts: 153 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary
    There is nothing else !
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,420 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Try tweaking the values in this example:

    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tdsi/example22.htm

    You'll need to adjust the 'Total income' and 'Personal allowance' values accordingly.

    Personal allowances are shown here:

    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm
    Stompa
  • zogg
    zogg Posts: 153 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary
    Stompa wrote: »
    Try tweaking the values in this example:

    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tdsi/example22.htm

    You'll need to adjust the 'Total income' and 'Personal allowance' values accordingly.

    Personal allowances are shown here:

    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm
    Good example Stompa. Great help. Thanks.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Do it yourself, but then compare your result with mine to see if we get the same. (I am trying to avoid other work right now ;))

    Total Gross Income: £10,755
    Personal Alloance: £6,475 (if this is different tell me)

    Total Taxable: £4,280

    £2,320 at 10% = £232
    £1,960 at 20% = £392

    Total Tax Paybale: £624

    However you will have paid £2,151 in tax, so you will get a tax refund of £1,527.
  • zogg
    zogg Posts: 153 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary
    I get :

    Total Income 10320
    Allowance 6475
    Taxable 3845
    10% 2320=232
    20% 1525=305
    Payable=537
    Paid in Tax=2064
    Refund=1527

    Refund figures the same.Odd !!
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Your monthly income is £717 after tax.

    To get before tax you *1.25, giving you £896.25

    So if you did £896.25 * 0.8 (which is 20% off), you get back to £717.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.