Question about mobility car

Options
A friend who does not drive has a new mobility car, with her son as the appointed driver. He has just been banned for drink driving :mad: and obviously is unable to drive his mother around. His ban is for a year, but he cannot be appointed driver for five years under Motability rules (fair enough). The only other person who could be the appointed driver is a family member who lives over an hour's drive away and works full time, so he isn't always available.

Can his mum arrange to return the car and have her money reinstated into her bank account under the circumstances? She is having to take taxis to appointments, for her shopping, etc, and the mobility money would be able to pay for this instead of a car sitting, unused, on the driveway.

I know that my friend should ring Motability for advice, but I said that I would ask MSE first.

Comments

• Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They should be able to return it, but will lose a proportion of the down payment according to how long they've had it. The car isn't going to work for her, so they should take it back . Good luck!
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Thanks for the answer Chopstheduck. I have already told them that they would probably lose their down payment, but I thought it would be the whole amount (I think it was about £600 and she has had the car for four months). It's great to hear that it might only be a proportion.

I'll pass the information on.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    They should be able to return it, but will lose a proportion of the down payment according to how long they've had it. The car isn't going to work for her, so they should take it back . Good luck!

I think this info is incorrect. When you sign up for a mobility car, you are generally commited for 3 years if on a longer DLA award. I dont think they would just allow her to return the car TBH. As she was allocating another driver and it wasnt her driving, then they will probably offer her to take on another driver as you are allowed 2 nominated drivers.

I am sure its not going to be easy as motability can be a pain in the !!!!! sometimes, especially with contracts etc.
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Thanks pennypincher. The problem is that there is no one else that can be the appointed driver. I think she is ringing Motability for advice.
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The mobility people will take back the car if you have a unique case. Like in your case you no longer have a driver. You will lose part of your advance payment and mobility will charge you for returning the car before the lease is up.
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
  • bora333
    bora333 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Yes she will be able to return the car, they will be a bit off with her when she phones but she has to stay firm. She will have to pay an upfront fee of £250 to cancel the contract. Once the car is collected she will receive around £550 from the down payment.

Hope this helps
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Wazza and Bora were correct - Motability have confirmed this. Wazza, it isn't me, it is a friend. I also have a motability car but have no need to return it early. I am also the driver, as the car is for my son, who is still at school.

Thank you for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport