We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Saving with a partner
buttercuplch
Posts: 3 Newbie
Hi there -
Sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it!
I'm looking to open a joint savings account with my partner in the new year, but until March his name is still on a mortgage (and possibly joint bank account) with his ex-girlfriend. Is it possible for him to have two joint bank accounts with different people?
(When the mortgage is up, I will write to credit companies to severe his financial contact with her, but not sure what to do until then!)
Thanks!
Sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it!
I'm looking to open a joint savings account with my partner in the new year, but until March his name is still on a mortgage (and possibly joint bank account) with his ex-girlfriend. Is it possible for him to have two joint bank accounts with different people?
(When the mortgage is up, I will write to credit companies to severe his financial contact with her, but not sure what to do until then!)
Thanks!
0
Comments
-
Shouldn't be a problem at all. My girlfriend has had joint accounts with about 3 other people concurrently. Admittedly she only actually wanted one of these at a time but couldn't manage to close two of them for a while, but that's one of the drawbacks of signing up to a bank which requires two signatures to close the account...buttercuplch wrote: »Hi there -
Sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it!
I'm looking to open a joint savings account with my partner in the new year, but until March his name is still on a mortgage (and possibly joint bank account) with his ex-girlfriend. Is it possible for him to have two joint bank accounts with different people?
(When the mortgage is up, I will write to credit companies to severe his financial contact with her, but not sure what to do until then!)
Thanks!
Fortunately all sorted now!I am a Chartered Financial Planner
Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.0 -
Personally if it was me I would keep my money in separate accounts in your own names until your partner has no financial ties to his ex-partner and the mortgage etc they have.
Like the others have said which I forgot to mention you can have accounts with other people and I agree with Castleman that you will not be able to write on his behalf unless he signs the letters.0 -
buttercuplch wrote: »Hi there -
(When the mortgage is up, I will write to credit companies to severe his financial contact with her, but not sure what to do until then!)
You won't be able to do it on his behalf. He'll have to do it himself if he wants to.
Easy to have as many accounts with different people as you want to.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards