We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Prudential With-Profit pension

What is people opinions of the Prudential With Profit Pension?

Currently have Pru pension but in Global Equity funds, but the Gloval funds only growed by 36% in 10 yrs, where as with profits 63%?

Comments

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,854 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    What is people opinions of the Prudential With Profit Pension?

    depends on which version you are talking about. There are some good versions and not so good versions. However, the Pru WP fund is good for what it is. Some versions have different charges and early ones may have guarantees.

    The WP fund is geared for someone with a certain risk profile and investment experience and knowledge (i.e. virtually none). People knock With Profits but Pru have made it work.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,695 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Personally I steer clear of anything "with profits". Effectively you're signing away your right to understand clearly what's going on with your investments. The various bonuses are applied using criteria that you won't be able to fully understand, and you may be penalised for withdrawing your money.

    I don't know much about the specifics of the Pru With Profits plan, but I just don't rate the style of investment in general.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • Whilst I agree with Aegis (in that 'With Profits' policies are generally lacking in transparency, with poor performance and often high charges), I do think that the Pru represents an exception to the rule.

    We have several legacy policies held in SIPPs that have delivered strong and steady returns at low cost. In addition, there's an MVR-free withdrawal of £25,000 p.a. (useful for income drawdown) and, I think, an MVR-free maturity date.

    (I could be wrong.)

    These policies represent useful core holdings, though we build up more interesting portfolios around them.

    If it were my money, I would not consier a new investment. However, there seems little point in surrendering existing policies where alternatives are not likely to outperform!

    Of course, past performance is no guarantee of future performance. :)
    For the avoidance of doubt: I work for an IFA.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,854 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If it were my money, I would not consier a new investment. However, there seems little point in surrendering existing policies where alternatives are not likely to outperform!

    Thats very much my position. I wouldnt want the Pru WP fund but I have a number of clients with it and they are very happy with it. Advanced portfolios with all the bells and whistles are not for everyone. The Pru WP fund is the simple option for the simple person (if you get what i mean).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.