We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Council Tax Benefit

Options
Hi all, just wondering if anybody can help me.
As we are really struggling to make ends meet at the moment I have been through everything cutting costs as far as I can and the only thing left is council tax.

Every 'can you claim' thing I fill out tells me I should either be paying no council tax or reduced council tax. Getting rather excited I checked it out on the council's website and the only thing I can see which could stand in my way is the following statement:
Council Tax Benefit will not be paid if:
  • You have savings or capital of £16,000 or more. (Some Pension Credit Guarantee Credit claimants with capital over £16,000 may still apply).
  • You are a full time student living alone (see Council Tax Website for discounts available).
  • Your property is exempt from Council Tax.

What would be classed as capital? Does it take into account the house price, cars all that stuff or just savings?

I tried to ask the council directly but they are useless and won't answer the phone or e-mail!

Comments

• gerby
    gerby Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    just savings
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    gerby wrote: »
    just savings

It is not just savings - it takes into account savings, investments, investment properties etc.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it wouldn't include the value of the home you have a mortgage on, or your car I don't think.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Notanaccountant
    Options
    Your primary residence is not counted towards being capital nor are your household chattels nor your cars unless you of course run second hand sales and have vehicles which you have purchased with the intent to sell. Equally if you have a secondary residence which is being rented or you own with the purpose of selling or basically is not your primary residence then this would be an asset i.e. Capital.

Any shares you own or investments would be capital. I am unsure on Pensions or endowment policies directly connected to your mortgage but I equally imagine that these would not be included.

Basically I am assuming that you fall into the income bracket of receiving Council tax benefit and assuming you do not have any of the investments above then you are able to claim. If you want true clarification then speak with the Citizens Advice Bureau or go into see the Council tax office.

I hope you get sorted and this was of some help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport