We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Trading the Dollar for a Novice
Dopple
Posts: 373 Forumite
I've asked this question before but perhaps in a different way, but am still unsure of what do, so if anyone has been in a similar situation and can help I would be grateful.
I have to keep a float of around $30-40k in US dollars for Sportsbooks purposes but am concerned about the weak dollar. I've joined Tradefairs demo account and to hedge the dollar it seems that I need to "buy" the dollar, so if the dollar becomes weaker I lose on the Sportsbook float but I win a Tradefair (when I open a live account).
I basically want to "win" about £1200 at Tradefair if the dollar gets to about $1.80 early next year but unsure what sort of size "bet" to place.
Advice please?
I have to keep a float of around $30-40k in US dollars for Sportsbooks purposes but am concerned about the weak dollar. I've joined Tradefairs demo account and to hedge the dollar it seems that I need to "buy" the dollar, so if the dollar becomes weaker I lose on the Sportsbook float but I win a Tradefair (when I open a live account).
I basically want to "win" about £1200 at Tradefair if the dollar gets to about $1.80 early next year but unsure what sort of size "bet" to place.
Advice please?
0
Comments
-
you already own $, so surely you would need to "sell", not "buy" the dollar to hedge it ??0
-
That's what I thought but after playing about with Tradefair Demo I realised I needed to "Buy". For example I bought today at 1.6587. Now its 1.6575.
So the dollar is slightly stronger against the Pound than it was, which is good for my Sportsbook dollars, but I'm down slightly on the demo account.
But vice-versa if I was losing money on my Sportsbook dollars I would be winning on Tradefair.
his is what I want in cause the dollar goes belly-up but I just don't know how to judge how much I need to trade.0 -
you are buying £, selling $0
-
Yes, I think you are right!0
-
Dopple, I think it may be better if you took up some other pastime before you start real trading!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards