We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Joint trading account and ISA Wrapper

2»

Comments

  • mr_scientist
    mr_scientist Posts: 68 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 8 December 2009 at 1:10PM
    If we were to put the ISA to one side, I've seen at one popular online broker that they offer a 'Joint Trading Account'. Would it be worth doing this instead?

    Although would this mean having to incurr the possibility of paying CGT and/or Income type taxes?
  • I could really do with some help on this, thanks.:confused:
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    I doubt you will earn enough profit for CGT (which is £10,200 for each person, so assumbly £20,400 for you both), so I wouldn't worry about that.

    Which broker may I ask?
  • debbie42
    debbie42 Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2009 at 4:28PM
    You'd have to compare charges and operating issues with the different providers. I don't know how, say, a joint account at TDW varies from the club approach already posted of as I've never done it myself.

    As for taxes, assuming a 50:50 split on your account, then you'd expect any tax liabilities to be split equally. Broadly speaking, if not in an ISA, you potentially pay CGT on any increases in value between buying and selling a share, and income tax on dividends.

    edit: The tax on dividends varies according to your tax status. It's detailed here:
    http://ukonline.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/TaxOnSavingsAndInvestments/DG_4016453
    Debbie
  • Lokolo wrote: »
    I doubt you will earn enough profit for CGT (which is £10,200 for each person, so assumbly £20,400 for you both), so I wouldn't worry about that.

    Which broker may I ask?

    The broker I have seen it on is E*Trade (see here) although on their product pages I can't seem to find any mention of it.
    debbie42 wrote: »
    You'd have to compare charges and operating issues with the different providers. I don't know how, say, a joint account at TDW varies from the club approach already posted of as I've never done it myself.

    As for taxes, assuming a 50:50 split on your account, then you'd expect any tax liabilities to be split equally. Broadly speaking, if not in an ISA, you potentially pay CGT on any increases in value between buying and selling a share, and income tax on dividends.

    edit: The tax on dividends varies according to your tax status. It's detailed here:
    http://ukonline.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/TaxOnSavingsAndInvestments/DG_4016453

    Thanks for the reply Debbie, I thought that by doing a joint account it might be a better way as there is most likely only ever going to be the two of us so I thought setting up an investment club may be a bit excessive. Although you make a good point on researching the comparisons in charges etc as it may work out in our favour.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.