We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

SBI fixed deposit -help please

I opened a fixed deposit account with State Bank of India, UK banch, in 2008 and it was automatically renewed this year. I need to withdraw money urgently, but the bank says early withdrawls are not allowed. Is that legally allowed? I really need the money and now and cannot wait another 9 months. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

  • cskay
    cskay Posts: 27 Forumite
    I would like to know what happened with your case. I would hope you got your money when needed. They should at the most not give you any interest for the second year but shouldn't hold your money.
    ________________________________________
    From my experience:
    the bank I liked
    choosing nri bank account
  • If their terms & Conditions state this, then they are within their rights.
  • cskay
    cskay Posts: 27 Forumite
    If their terms & Conditions state this, then they are within their rights.
    Thanks, that's then something to be very careful about, I was under impression, I can take out money from their fixed term bonds by agreeing to lose any interest.
    ________________________________________
    From my experience:
    the bank I liked
    choosing nri bank account
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    cskay wrote: »
    ...that's then something to be very careful about, I was under impression, I can take out money from their fixed term bonds by agreeing to lose any interest.
    Impressions & assumptions are not recommended when it comes to financial contracts, especially those such as fixed-term/fixed rate accounts - some permit access with a penalty or loss of interest while, at the other extreme, others will only permit early access on the death of the account holder.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.