How much to service a gas fire?

Options
We have a gas fire in the living room. Don't know the make, but it's one of those with pretend coal, inside three glass panels. I hate it, it's ugly.

We hardly use it, as we keep the C H at a decent gentle background level, and in the evening DH and I cuddle up together (ahhhhh), or put on an extra layer.

However, my mum will be visiting over xmas, so of course we will have to use the fire then (as she feels cold if she can't see a heat source, besides which she's nearly 80).

It was last serviced about 5 years ago, and because we hardly use it, if we do light it it smells of hot dust (which discourages us further).

So I'll look at getting it serviced. Will they clean the dust out of it? Will they give the glass a good clean? Any idea how much it will cost?
I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Around £40-£45 depending on location.
    You could clean the dust out and clean the glass yourself, however after 5 years it should be properly serviced by a Gas Safe engineer. They do more than just dust it., they will check that it is operating correctly and is safe.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    They do more than just dust it., they will check that it is operating correctly and is safe.

I know that, otherwise I would have got dh to take it apart so we could clean it. What I'm asking is will they clean it as well (save us taking it apart a second time)?
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • EliteHeat
    EliteHeat Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    easy wrote: »
    I know that, otherwise I would have got dh to take it apart so we could clean it. What I'm asking is will they clean it as well (save us taking it apart a second time)?

Yes macman, would you please answer the question and stop telling the OP stuff they already know and in all probability, wasting their time. :D
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Since you're the expert, why don't you tell them?:rolleyes:
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sorry, did I sound rude? I didn't mean to.

Have thanked you both just in case.
  • totalsolutions
    Options
    er, yep....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills