We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
is it just me?
ForestBluebells
Posts: 529 Forumite
Is there anyone else out there who seems to find that as soon as they open a 'best offer' account it is no longer the best?
I opened an IF ISA about 2 months ago which I have now filled but it is now no longer even listed as a best buy and there are better available, i think I get 2.5% on it.
I also just opened a citibank savings account (I think that is 2.5% also) to replace my ING Direct one (as i realised i was only getting 0.4% interest :eek:) and now thats not even the best and I am wondering if I should just open one of those bank accounts that offer 6% interest as this might be a better option?!
I have £3600 in my ISA plus what ever interest they have paid and £3000 in savings but by january this will be £7800 in savings.
I am currently banking with Natwest although quite happy to change as I have found them to be quite unhelpful.
Any advice? (oh and I need access to the savings as after January I do not know when my next good job will be as I am self employed and will begin renting then)
Thank you in advance
I opened an IF ISA about 2 months ago which I have now filled but it is now no longer even listed as a best buy and there are better available, i think I get 2.5% on it.
I also just opened a citibank savings account (I think that is 2.5% also) to replace my ING Direct one (as i realised i was only getting 0.4% interest :eek:) and now thats not even the best and I am wondering if I should just open one of those bank accounts that offer 6% interest as this might be a better option?!
I have £3600 in my ISA plus what ever interest they have paid and £3000 in savings but by january this will be £7800 in savings.
I am currently banking with Natwest although quite happy to change as I have found them to be quite unhelpful.
Any advice? (oh and I need access to the savings as after January I do not know when my next good job will be as I am self employed and will begin renting then)
Thank you in advance
0
Comments
-
Does anyone have any input? It would be greatly appreciated
0 -
Your ISA is getting a pretty good rate. The highest rate instant access ISA is 3%, so the difference between this and what you are now getting is only around £15 per year.
Have you topped up your ISA for this year (6th April 2009-5th April 2010) yet? Would be worth doing that.
Again, your savings account is a good rate as well. If you switched that to the AA (3.15%), then on a balance of £7800 you'd get around £40 per year more interest (after tax).
If you pay in £1000 per month and are generally in credit, then there are better current accounts than Natwest, e.g. Halifax's Reward account, from which you'll get £5 every month (after tax).0 -
If your future income is uncertain and you need immediate access to at least some of your savings, all you can sensibly do is to keep at least your non-ISA savings in the highest easy access account you can find. As long as you remain a tax-payer it's worth trying to hang onto your ISA but again, look around to move it if you can find a better deal that doesn't tie it up for too long.0
-
For instant access accounts, I would open any accounts that give a good FIXED bonus or a Fixed rate (as per the now defunct ING 3.2%) - you don't have to use then apart from generally sticking in £1.
For Example I opened Egg @3.25% in Sept and have only just started to add some funds; Tesco @ 3% (sept I think) -current balance £1; ING @3.2%-(14th Nov) - current balance £1, but will move over any Egg funds if & when their rates drop - unless of course there is a better 1 by then
0 -
Thank you for the replies, I will try to find a higher rate savings account then as I want the best interest I can get.
I only opened my ISA a few months ago so filled up this years allowance but will look at switching come April, not sure it is worth the hassel of switching for only £15 more interest.
My income is very uncertain, I might earn £100 a month or £4,000 per month, after this current job I will not know what work I will get until closer to the time so cannot predict anything which is why I need access to the savings in order to pay rent if I cannot make enough money although I am hoping to keep the ISA and not touch that so I have some savings for the future as I am 25 and do not have a pension. My plan is to try to save the ISA limit each year as then at least I can have access to the money if I need it although I think that for tax reasons a pension would be better, I beleive you need to pay in a regular amount each month and I am not sure I could commit to that..... maybe when I meet my accountant in April he will tell me otherwise I do not know....
It is all so confusing!!
Thanks again
0 -
I already have an account with ING direct but I am only getting 0.4% interest. I presume I cannot just close my current account and open a new one...0
-
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards