We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Which credit card to keep?
EagerLearner
Posts: 4,976 Forumite
in Credit cards
Dear all,
I have the following credit cards:
Cahoot - Opened 1 month ago, never used, around 11% rate
Egg Card - Opened 4 years ago, never used (so managed well!), around 16% rate
First Direct - Opened 3 years ago, managed well, around 15% rate
Egg Money - Opened 1 month ago, managed well, around 16% rate
My question is, I only want the Egg Money card + 1 other credit card. Which one should I keep?
I need the card to have clear statements that can be used for mortgage applications etc and ideally a decent rate.
Right now I cannot apply for more credit cards as I have recently moved and also started a new job.
Or, does it do me no harm to keep all of them? I've heard mixed reviews about the benefits of canceling cards....
Thanks
EagerLearner
I have the following credit cards:
Cahoot - Opened 1 month ago, never used, around 11% rate
Egg Card - Opened 4 years ago, never used (so managed well!), around 16% rate
First Direct - Opened 3 years ago, managed well, around 15% rate
Egg Money - Opened 1 month ago, managed well, around 16% rate
My question is, I only want the Egg Money card + 1 other credit card. Which one should I keep?
I need the card to have clear statements that can be used for mortgage applications etc and ideally a decent rate.
Right now I cannot apply for more credit cards as I have recently moved and also started a new job.
Or, does it do me no harm to keep all of them? I've heard mixed reviews about the benefits of canceling cards....
Thanks
EagerLearner
MFW #185
Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
YNAB lover
Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
YNAB lover
0
Comments
-
do you clear your balance every month ?
if not the rates can be beaten by other cards
if it was me id cancel all but egg and get an other card say ge money (ive just been acepted)
they offer either 3% cash back on every day stuff , or you can get 12 months interest free on transferes
cancel some of the others first though as the look at your avilable credit
so if you have lots of cards with nil balance they may give you a lower limit than you want0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards