Chance to re-offer

I put an offer in on a house and was told by the EA he would get back to me. I also asked for a second viewing which he did arrange . He then came back to me and said that someone else who saw it after me had put in the full asking price. Should I have been told that my offer had been refused and then I could have re-offered as I was the first person to see it and make an offer? Any clarity grateful?

Replies

• Do you want to make a higher offer? If so, give them a call and increase your offer.
    My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say ;)
    Ignore......check!
  • AstaraAstara Forumite
    132 Posts
    Is that ethical?
  • It's legal! Whether, morally, it's the right thing to do is debatable.
    My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say ;)
    Ignore......check!
  • Hi,

I would just clarify with the agent if he did put your offer to the vendor but he is also obliged to get the highest price for the seller so he doesn't need to ask you to go higher. It could be that the other buyer is in a better position (no chain etc)
    Its so disappointing to lose a house - but remember there are always other houses. If you felt at the time your offer was fair (or what you could afford) then don't feel pushed into bidding more. EA love this situation to happen - 2 buyers fighting over a house will just push up the price. Be careful what you are offering and make sure you don't overpay.
  • AstaraAstara Forumite
    132 Posts
    Thanks for the advice. Actually I have a buyer but I was concerned that they have only just found something and I wanted a quick sale. I guess I'll just have to move on!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides