Microsoft Office for new laptop or pc

Options
On www.software4students.co.uk can I order a copy of microsoft office (not sure which one to get) even though I'm not a student?

Or I do have a copy of microsoft office professional 2004 but its been used on a few pcs and laptops now would this still be ok to install on a new laptop or pc and would it be ok with windows 7?

I was also thinking microsoft office 2007 might be updated soon? if so it might be worth just using the 2004 for a while still until the new version is bought out?
Thanx

Lady_K

Comments

• NickMidgley
    NickMidgley Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    Options
    If you have children in full time education, then software4students is the way to go.

MS Office 2010 is due out in June next year, although a beta version is available for download.

Office Professional 2004 is Mac software, isn't it? Are you sure you don't mean 2003?

The free OpenOffice might be worth a try, if it's to your taste.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    Lady_K wrote: »
    On www.software4students.co.uk can I order a copy of microsoft office (not sure which one to get) even though I'm not a student?

You can but thye licence will be invalid if your not a student or you don;t have a student in the immediate family. You can buy the home and student version (£99 or less for 3 PC's in the household) regardless of if your a student or not.
    Or I do have a copy of microsoft office professional 2004 but its been used on a few pcs and laptops now would this still be ok to install on a new laptop or pc and would it be ok with windows 7?

Define a few? Legally you can put it on JUST one PC per licence, and in some cases if you put it on your p[rimary desktop PC you can pout it on a laptop, a rule of thumb was you should be using the primary PC for 80% of the time you used office.
    I was also thinking microsoft office 2007 might be updated soon? if so it might be worth just using the 2004 for a while still until the new version is bought out?

It is, theres an Office 2010 beta out, but it won't get much cheaper than it is.

Have you considered Open Office, it's free and you can put it on as many PC's as you like.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 November 2009 at 10:41PM
    Options
    I'm not sure how many, to be honest someone gave me a copy who works in an office so I think it might be a corporate version. I personally put it on a laptop, a pc and another laptop that was stolen from my daughter. The last time it was put on anything was 3-4 years ago

The laptop will be for my daughter she uses the microsoft office for quite a lot of things to do with work and study so not sure if the open office will be enough for her. I will buy a new one but would rather wait until the new one is out in 2010.

I have a grandaughter who is still in school but she doesnt live at my house, she is getting a new laptop herself for christmas, would it work to get one for her and it then be used for her laptop, my daughters laptop and my pc if it allows 3?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • planethurf
    Options
    This is a great option - when you order you need to provide details of the student you are ordering for Name, and School - and that is it. The software is not retail box - just the CDs and a product key - but it is legit and really good value - luckily, I have more offspring than the old woman who lived in a shoe - so I don't have to worry about a lack of eligible students! Office 2007 Pro Plus is a good balance between price and function for £45 if you need the full thing. If this is not essential I would also recommend Open Office - as they are the same in purpose, if you are not tied to Microsoft.
  • Lady_K
    Options
    Is there some kind of scheme for NHS workers to get microsoft office cheaper?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    Is there some kind of scheme for NHS workers to get microsoft office cheaper?

Home User Programme £8.95
  • Lady_K
    Options
    Thankyou will pass that onto her, I've been enquiring about microsoft office for a while in prep for new laptop and found an old thread about it but couldnt find any up to date info so thought it might have ended, hopfully this will solve the problem but still looking for the laptop though :)

Wow just seen that 2nd post £8.95!
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I am looking at replacing my pc and was looking at the microsoft office for students package ultimate steal @ £38.95. My son is a second year student so is eligible for this. Is this only for his machine or would I also be able to put on my new pc as well? Is there a limit to how many machines you can put this on as my daughter (also a student 6th form at the moment hopefully at University in September) also had a laptop with vista. My son has xp and mine will have windows 7 is it compatible for all three? Does this package only last while he/she is a student?
    Decluttter 2022⭐Declutter 2023
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    Download the 2010 beta and use that for as long as you can - I've found no real issues with it so far as far as home use goes...
  • Wanton
    Wanton Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    Donnie wrote: »

+£9 if you want a back up DVD. I think you just need a NHS e-mail address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure