Contraception help..

Options

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ClaireN75 wrote: »
    Hi, I stopped with the pill when I started getting flakey about taking it and went on the Nuvaring. I'm really happy with it but you need to set a regular reminder to put it in and take it out (mine's on my mobile).

The Nuvaring? Wow, iPhone really *does* have an app for everything :)
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Options
    Lol at above! hmm the prob with ym pill is me forgetting..it sits in my makeup bag and i still just dont do it..run out of time or forget and think ill take one tommorow..a stupid lax attitude really if i dont want to end up in trouble!
    Maybe the implant is the only way but i spoke to dh about it last night and he commented on my friends weight (in a nice way)..i dont want ot get big and stay big due to that..hmm.
  • mad_as_a_march_hare
    Options
    I had the implant put in back in June 2008, when i started a new relationship, and i never read any of the pros and cons i just thought it sounded fab. It has been fab i didn't have a single period from June until April this year and i even managed to loose 5 stone, which i desperately needed to loose as i was very overweight.

But since April its been a a bit of a nightmare at times, i have spent weeks on end being on and spotting and then perhaps having a week with nothing then another couple of weeks spotting, it has drove me and my partner mad.

I've been to the doctors and was put on a week of norestrone(sp), and thank goodness that has now regulated my cycle now back to 28 days. My partner does still want me to get it removed as he has said since i've had it put in i have become a complete emotional wreck at the sligtest little thing and i do have to agree with him. But i'm still persevering with it.
    It's just a case of it suits some people and doesn't suit others, but at least it does the job without having any pills to remember.
  • mharimoo
    mharimoo Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2009 at 11:32PM
    Options
    I have had the implant for about 4 months now and had no period since. I'm breastfeeding though so maybe that's why?

I love it to be honest, i've heard horror stories but it works brill for me. I always forget to take pills (hence having two little ones under two lol). I think i am a bit more moody but nothing awful, and since i've just had a baby, i dunno if it's that or the implant!

Anyway, i couldn't stand the idea of a coil and the pill is out so it was my only long term option really.

ETA: It was put in in less than 5 mins, felt nothing and didn't realise she'd done it til she said!
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    I'm on my second implant now (had one nearly 4 years now) and I've only ever had light spotting with it. Saves a LOAD on er, feminine products, if you know what I mean!!

I'd recommend it :)
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• mharimoo
    Options
    gabyjane wrote: »
    Lol at above! hmm the prob with ym pill is me forgetting..it sits in my makeup bag and i still just dont do it..run out of time or forget and think ill take one tommorow..a stupid lax attitude really if i dont want to end up in trouble!
    Maybe the implant is the only way but i spoke to dh about it last night and he commented on my friends weight (in a nice way)..i dont want ot get big and stay big due to that..hmm.

My gp said that weight gain on the implant is a myth and that you only put on weight if you eat too much lol. She said it doesn't increase your appetite but that people that DO put on weight would have put it on anyway and not caused by the implant. I think if yu watch what you are eating and are as sensible as normal then you shouldn't put any on. Bear in mind that some people are likely to gain weight with age anyway.
  • Finefoot
    Finefoot Posts: 644 Forumite
    Options
    Just make sure you read alll the pros and cons, so you can make an informed decision..
    Loving the sunny days!
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Options
    I will thanks guys x
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had the implant and i just had constant heavy periods. In the end as i ended up anaemic they had to give me the pill to regulate the periods (which defeated the object of me being on the implant in the first place!) I swear the only reason it worked as a contraceptive was because i could never have sex! I switched to the injection and had the opposite-no periods. Though it took well over a year after coming off that for my periods to re-regulate themselves.#

Having implant put in was easy, and only took few mins, being taken out was a it worse as scar tissue had grown over the implant so it took some rummaging around to fish the thing out and it scarred a little.

Its hard to say as it affects everyone differently.
  • Apricot
    Apricot Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Options
    I have recently had my implant taken out after 2 1/2 years. The first two years were great - no periods etc. I then started getting a constant period - was put on the pill to regulate it. As soon as I stopped the pill they started constantly again.
    Tbh I think everyone has different reactions to it, the same thing happened to me when I was on the injection. If the implant works for you then its fab not having to remember a pill but if you have problems its awful.
    My symptoms stopped within a month of having the implant out & I am left with two small scars on the inside of my left arm. I don't regret having it though, just wished it had kept working.
    :happylove DD July 2011:happylove

Aug 13 [STRIKE]£4235.19[/STRIKE]:eek: £2550.00 :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family