Contraception help..

Ok i have been on Ovranette for a long long time..14 years infact and never ever had a prob with it. I had a pregnancy scare a few months back and stayed off it for a while due to not knowing if i was or wasn't and didnt know if it harmed me if i was..i wasn't btw! Anyway ever since i have been awful at taking it..really awful i forget and then take 2 (i know i know bad bad bad)..i have been taking the last pack and stopped for my usual break over a week ago and nothing..now i am due to go back on i am not sure what to do for the best..go on to it but will stay on it as we are on holiday on new years day and dont want to come on while away and so there will be prob 2 months taking it..
I'm wondering what the implant is like so there is no worrying i have forgotten it..any comments on how you get on with it? dont fancy any other methods!..thanks

Comments

• Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,147 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    There is a thread running about the good and bad points associated with the Mirena coil.... I'll see if I can find the link for you.
  • My daughter has had an implant and loves it. Easily removed if she wants children, and no worrying about pills every day.
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Thanks ladies im not sure whats for the best..one minute i am ok at taking it knowing it suits me then i think how unreliable i am and the things that could happen on something else due to being used to this..hmm..
  • rach83
    rach83 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Whatever you do stay clear of coils. I had a copper coil (gynefix) fitted and had nothing but trouble with it. I had really really heavy periods which use to wipe me out for a week every month. I then unbeknown to me lost the coil!! I was lucky that I realised when I did.

I know people that have had the implant and it can cause weight gain which put me off it.

I am pregnant at the moment but I have thought about contraception (!) for when I am not I am considering trying the Depo injection.
  • rach83 wrote: »
    I am pregnant at the moment but I have thought about contraception (!) for when I am not I am considering trying the Depo injection.

If you want anymore children then don't get the depo, it can cause so many fertility/ weight/ libido problems with women. If you google it you'll find loads of women who have had problems with it.

I had a mirena coil which was ok, stopped my periods which was good, just had me constantly paranoid of being the 1% that fell pregnant and not knowing about it! :rotfl:
  • gabyjane
    Hmm i dont like the idea of the coil if im honest. The implant my friend had and was ok for a few months but then wasn't..i didnt go on it last year due to the poss weight gain as was getting married..a year has flown by and now we are going on holiday so the weight thing is there again but this ovranette is all over the place!
  • Hi, I stopped with the pill when I started getting flakey about taking it and went on the Nuvaring. I'm really happy with it but you need to set a regular reminder to put it in and take it out (mine's on my mobile).
  • ClaireN75 wrote: »
    the Nuvaring.

I had to google that as I'd never heard of it before, whats it like?
  • xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Do you think that you might have been subconciously hoping you were pregnant and that forgetting to take the pill is a knock on from that? Just the first thing that sprung to mind.

The Mirena coil thread gives a lot of things to consider - mainly from women having side effects (myself included) but there are some who think it's wonderful.

Your GP will be able to give you some info on your options but a lot of what is and isn't suitable depends on your medical history, age, weight, if you smoke, if you have a history of acne just to name a few.
  • gabyjane
    Hi thanks for the replys.
    ClaireN75 not heard of that will google it thanks
    xxvickixx hi..no i wasn't subconciously hoping I was pregnant i think i am/was a bit worried but unsure what is going on with me at the mo. Like i said i had a scare a while back but had all the symptoms..i have nothing now apart from the fact my tummy looks so much bigger (my sister if she reads this will be going pfffttt as she thinks im a twig lol) but i can really notice it, last night i layed in bed and can normally have my tummy flat as and it wasn't..unusual for me but doesnt mean i am..i have also put weight on and considering im trying to be really good due to our holiday im confused about this too..probably all the mince pies though!!
    Im unsure what to do as havent had a period for ages now..i had oned day about 2 weeks agao with a slight hint i may be on and nothing since..
    At the mo i dont want to chnage contraception till we get back (mid jan) but im wondering if it is ok to take the pill again say today as normal..hmm its a vicious circle!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure