Being Chased to Pay off BT Bill thats not mine

Options
humfer
humfer Posts: 1,779 Forumite
Guy that works for me at work has a problem at the moment with BT. He moved house back in June and paid off his BT account (BT sent him the final bill and acknowledge his account paid off all ok). However last week he has had a letter from a debt collector stating that he owes BT over £1k for an account at his old address for a different BT account. Not sure how they have tracked him down but guess they have there ways. He has spoken to BT and told them this bill is nothing to do with him (it relates to a preiod after he moved out), but BT are refusing to budge. He went to see the Citizens Advice on friday but after waiting for 3 1/2 hours was just given another appointment with an expert on the 10th December. I have told him he should probably report to the Police to at least get a crime reference number and also start getting all his evidence (council tax bills, mobile bills, etc...) together to prove that he's been living at his current address since June and therefore any bills relating to the old address after the time he left have nothing to do with him. Not sure if theres anything else that people recommend?? Any help much appreciated. Also just trying to figure out how a new account has been taken out in his name - maybe BT called back or sent a letter a few weeks after his account was closed offering to open a new account????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure