natwest charge of £35 for one day slightly overdrawn

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
11 replies 3K views
want2bmortgage3want2bmortgage3 Forumite
2K Posts
I went £38 over my £100 overdraft for one day in october and now in late november I have been charged £35 (£20 + £15) for it. This is a charge of £20 (CHG) and a Paid Referral Fee of £15.

I called them today and was hoping to have it waivered as I dont usually go overdrawn and it was because a refund was going back onto the card but took several days to show up.

Natwest CS told me that because natwest have recently reduced this fee that they can no longer let anyone off or waver the charge.

Is this right and is there anything else I can do as I have been a natwest customer for 15 years and have hardly ever been overdrawn.

Replies

• any ideas in the past i've had a similar charge for another one off slightly overdrawn situation and they removed it but their attitude seems to have changed, for the worse.
  • unkleunkle Forumite
    325 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    any ideas in the past i've had a similar charge for another one off slightly overdrawn situation and they removed it but their attitude seems to have changed, for the worse.

I'm afraid this is probably a sign of things to come, call it sour grapes but it's what has and will come from this whole episode.
  • Alias_OmegaAlias_Omega Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    For some reason i had managed to go overdrawn by 3p on my savings account.

I was absolutely fuming that this should happen. Paypal had taken cash from my account, when i selected my credit card. Previously i had cancelled the direct debit, but somehow it was still on the system.

I made a call to the natwest online banking, and was put through to someone who would take to me about lending.

I spent 20mins explaining how i thought that the £35 charge was very expensive for such a small problem. They explained why did it and i did not ask for a refund.

Time went on, and i asked them was I a good customer and she offered to levy the charge.

So i would ring them up tomorrow, act like your stunned at this charge and ask them why its happened to you as you were not ment to be like that.
  • pie81pie81 Forumite
    530 Posts
    agree. Keep arguing, ask to speak to a supervisor, stress that you hardly ever are in overdraft.
  • Have to agree with those telling you to keep complaining. Was charged £35 by NW a few months ago for going 4p over my £950 overdraft limit for 2 days. After arguing for a while that it reflected one hell of an interest rate, and a few other bits, they eventually waived the charge as a "gesture of goodwill".
  • Alias_OmegaAlias_Omega Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great news..!
  • Have to agree with those telling you to keep complaining. Was charged £35 by NW a few months ago for going 4p over my £950 overdraft limit for 2 days. After arguing for a while that it reflected one hell of an interest rate, and a few other bits, they eventually waived the charge as a "gesture of goodwill".

prime example of a con, a 4p loan, because essentially thats what it is, nets them £35.00 in the time it takes for the computer to suss it,which will be nano seconds, how can you price your goods to the exact penny when your buying stuff on a card etc etc,its prime fodda for any bank to print money for nothing.
    missed direct debit charges,very odd,theres no pain so how come the big gain,i.e £39.00 for a letter
  • For some reason i had managed to go overdrawn by 3p on my savings account.

I was absolutely fuming that this should happen. Paypal had taken cash from my account, when i selected my credit card. Previously i had cancelled the direct debit, but somehow it was still on the system.

I made a call to the natwest online banking, and was put through to someone who would take to me about lending.

I spent 20mins explaining how i thought that the £35 charge was very expensive for such a small problem. They explained why did it and i did not ask for a refund.

Time went on, and i asked them was I a good customer and she offered to levy the charge.

So i would ring them up tomorrow, act like your stunned at this charge and ask them why its happened to you as you were not ment to be like that.

So i would ring them up tomorrow, act like your stunned at this charge

te he act like your stunned,i would think he was genuinely stunned when he saw £35.00 taken for a 4p bank loan,thats a loan shark ,not a bank
    missed direct debit charges,very odd,theres no pain so how come the big gain,i.e £39.00 for a letter
  • 4p overdrawn = £35.00 charge
    3p overdrawn =£35.00 charge

surely this is what loan sharks do,ridiculous,scandalous,incredibly severe,bordering on corrupt practice.
  • called them again but got nowhere, was just told this is an automated charge which would happen even if i was 1p over the overdraft for one day. told the charges have been reduced recently and therefore they are not considering any goodwill gestures. was given an email address if i wanted to complain [EMAIL="customer.relations@natwest.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] was told this is the head office but that i am not likely to have the charges refunded despite my good record and long term with the bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals