We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

GE Card 0 % Card Just Been Rejected

A strange one this - Just been rejected for the first time with the GE card 12 months interest free etc.

Really can't understand why, because I have my Experian file which has all +0 and:-

1) Full time work
2) Mortgage owner
3) On the electoral roll
4) Earn over +£40k

I will appeal, but in the meantime I am concerned that my credit card scoring will be damaged. Any advise would be helpful?

I had a Barclaycard about two years ago, and changed it after the 0% ended - Would it be possible to apply again, knowing that Barclaycard know that I am a credit tart.. I do have a current account..

Any help on these two questions would be grateful.

Cheers,

Albert

Comments

  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,291
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I was turned down by GE Money for this card last week. If I had been accepted I would have cleared my card in the 12 months, I'm now too scared to apply for anymore cards.
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • mattbass
    mattbass Posts: 357
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There is a massive thread about the GE card a few threads down. Lots of similar stories you may find some answers in there.
    .
  • Albert_32
    Albert_32 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Well Bagpuss, I am going to go for my bank Barclays and aim for the 0% card - They do know my 'Tarting' tendancies, as I had a card a few years ago. If they say NO I will close my account - fingers crossed it works out.

    I will then go for broke and try the Virgin card - I have £5k on the card, I don't wan't to get hit with normal apr which would be expensive.

    Cheers Albert
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,871
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Methinks GE and Amex don't want "unprofitable" customers....

    If you are a good risk and likely to pay them no/low interest they make it harder to join...
  • movieman
    movieman Posts: 383 Forumite
    Methinks GE and Amex don't want "unprofitable" customers....

    Well, would you lend money to people for a year for nothing?

    That didn't cost them much when they could borrow it from Japan at 0% themselves, but now the Japanese are bringing their easy credit binge to an end, that's all going to change.
  • Albert_32
    Albert_32 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Maybe next time I should say drop my annual salary, and therefore look like a good candicate for being scr*wed over.

    I think your right that times are changing, I will go to Barclays and try and force their hand. Thankfully I only need 6 months to clear my debts, I have had it good for too long some might say...
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.