Frozen food question

Options
What happens to food that has been frozen longer than it's use by date?

Does it actually go off?

Reason being my hubby has just started working away 6 days a week and I have a freezer full of stuff just for me and most of it's the food he generally eats

I have noticed if bread is frozen for more than a few weeks when defrosted its somewhat hard

Comments

• kinkyjinks
    Options
    What happens to food that has been frozen longer than it's use by date?

Does it actually go off?

Reason being my hubby has just started working away 6 days a week and I have a freezer full of stuff just for me and most of it's the food he generally eats

I have noticed if bread is frozen for more than a few weeks when defrosted its somewhat hard
    I asked this same question a few weeks ago and was given this thread to look at (I think it was this one cos it's in my bookmarked threads) http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1456611 The short answer is...if it was fine when you froze it and it's not been defrosted previously then yes it should last indefinitely. HTH.
    "Who’s that tripping over my bridge?" roared the Troll.
    "Oh, it’s only me, the littlest Billy-goat Gruff and I’m going off to the hills to make myself fat"
  • Quanz2
    Quanz2 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe that its ok to keep food indefinately in the freezer. My understanding is that things begin to lose flavour and texture, after a prolonged time in the freezer.
    I often have things in my freezer for 2 or 3 months after the best by date and I have never detected lose of flavour or texture.
    I've never frozen bread (2 kids and 2 adults in the house so bread and milk disappear fast), my gran did, but would just use it to make toast.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't freeze anything indefinitely- especially not meat- sure you may get a "dickie tummy" but if you have children or elderly people eating from your home/freezer, you gotta take into consideration that their immune systems may not be as strong as yours and they may suffer a lot more then you. Be careful- especially with fish which seems to become lethal very easily if out of date.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    To freshen up bread that has hardened in the freezer, after being in there a few weeks, give it a QUICK burst in the microwave and it softens up again. (Not too long or it will harden up even more!!)
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure