eldest child and eating (four)

Options
My eldest will be five in april and I am wondering if anyone has an advice about her eating...its not the normal, oh she wont eat etc etc, she eats and is quite a good eater....but she still has a STRONG gag reflex. Any sort of food with a rubbery texture (mushrooms, eggs etc) and meat, she will eat it but will gag on it. Is it the norm for them to still have such a strong gag reflex at her age? She is never forced to eat anything I might add, she will try things of her own accord but gag away. I suppose I worry about her more, as she had silent reflux as a baby (weak stomach valve, leading to acid in the throat) and since birth has always been quite a picky eater.
:starmod:Sealed Pot Challenge Member 1189:starmod:

Comments

• achtunglady
    achtunglady Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    Options
    Hi my daughter is the same, but i can see her problem its her huge tonsils that block her throat, does your daughter snore at night? Could be some obstruction or narrowing of the oesophugus (sp?).
    And yes the lady in the avatar is me

Slimming World started 12/5/11 : Starting weight 12st 3lb
    Hoping to get to 9 stone by September 2011

Wk1 -1lb Wk2 -2lb Wk3 +0.5lb Wk4 STS
  • NBirdy
    NBirdy Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    My eldest is 3 and just the same too. Srambled eggs (eggs in most forms actually), couscous, mushrooms, pancakes etc, will all make her gag. And if she gags twice that's it - she vomits everything up. And when she's got a cough I basically need a muslin to hand at all times because a bout of coughing soon turns multi-coloured _pale_

However my DD has always been a picky eater, hates trying new things and will refuse things just because of how they look/feel. No other sensory issues really though.

Sorry I can't offer any help, except to say you're not alone! And I'll be watching the thread with interest :)
  • mumslave
    mumslave Posts: 7,531 Forumite
    Options
    No my eldest is not a snorer, but then she is not really a sleeper. She seems to live off fumes, sleep is surplus to requirements (dont get me wrong, she doesnt keep us up or anything like that, she just seems to be awake most of the night, but just resting in her bed!)
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine had silent reflux too. He's five now, and doesn't eat anything that he has to chew for too long. He won't eat beef or lamb mince unless it's pureed, but quorn mince goes in Ok. Banana of all things still makes him gag.

Oh and if anyone thinks I'm daft for pureeing his meat, there's only so much vomit one person can cope with. Trying to move from the puree to the lumpy babyfood stage was a nightmare. We bypassed it in the end and went straight to finger foods. I puree some of his food because i don't want him to lose the taste for healthy food. Chicken has gradually become acceptable, so I no longer have to puree that. He will eat a chicken dinner as long as the potatoes and the carrots are mashed. He's never eaten an egg. I did hide some in his mashed potato once, but he was sick after it.

Mine doesn't sleep much either. He is usually up for the day somewhere between 5am to 6am.
  • mumslave
    Options
    I wonder if it is related to the silent reflux then....I havent really made a fuss as I know she cant help it and drawing attention to it wont help, but maybe its worth asking the doctor, just to get an opinion. I know they say you shouldnt compare, but my 3 year old (whom didnt have any issues as a baby) hasnt gagged since she was first weaning really. Thanks.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Whilst waiting for a GP appointment, I would suggest cultivating an air of disinterestedness, just in case paying attention makes it worse, whilst checking on the quiet whether she is pushing food too far back in her mouth when it's this texture.

It might be that, because it's a bit 'sloppy/gloopy/slimy' that she is shovelling it back a bit because it doesn't need to be chewed/she's too busy talking/she's very hungry/never quite got the hang of chewing with her back teeth, then either the food or her cutlery is catching the back of the mouth and making her gag.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • mumslave
    Options
    thanks jojo, she does have her wee quirks, I notice she isnt all that keen on putting a fork or spoon right in her mouth, rather kind of 'teeth' it off, if that makes sense. She is a little whirlwind, always full of energy and I suppose eating could be a bit of a chore for her really. I will try what you say and see what i notice.
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Options
    Just to say that whilst I don't have this problem, I wanted to support Cranky who purees the meat so that her child can still enjoy healthy food. Well done you.
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills