End of term gifts for Teachers

Options
Polly
Polly Posts: 898 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Was anyone else tuned in to the Steven Nolan debate on gifts for teachers? I only caught part of it but it appears that a primary school in Belfast sent home a note asking parents not to send in gifts for teachers at the end of term. So far so good. However, the note went on to ask that instead, parents send a £10 M&S voucher (one per child) so that the schools could share these out amongst the staff. The name of children contributing will be included on a list.

As a parent of 3 school age children, I think this is outrageous. Like every other parent I know, I buy gifts for each teacher at Christmas and at the end of term. So far, I have had no problem with this as I see it as an opportunity to thank good teachers and to date, my children have been taught by excellent staff who go the extra mile to do their job well. However, such gifts should be discretionary and the amount spent is up to the family and not the school.

For a school to blatantly request a particular gift and a specific sum, is inappropriate and discriminatory to poorer families, who are going to be identified on this list. I would be interested in what others feel about this particular incident and in end of term gift giving in general.

Comments

• BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You are 100% correct. It displays ignorance and bad manners on behalf of the school.
  • greyster
    greyster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    I am shocked .... I'm sure my teacher friends would also be.

There shouldnt be instructions for stuff like this. Perhaps this will be addressed at the next parent teachers meeting :D
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am absolutely disgusted at the school's arrogance! I am a teacher and in no way expect a present at the end of term. It's my job to teach these children, I chose the profession and the best present is to hear a "thank you" (like in any industry) at the end from the child.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just answered this on a another board. Heres what I said:

I agree. Asking for £10 per child is a bit much. You don't have to give it. If your child wants to give a cheaper gift or no gift at all it is totally up to you but don't feel pressured into giving £10 each child. I bet the teachers are rubbing their hands waiting for a nice tax free bonus to their wages. Make sure you let other parents know too that they are not oblidged to pay this.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Skint1
    Skint1 Posts: 1,362 Forumite
    Options
    Tell then to kiss my Arsenal. Teachers earn a good wage compared to parents bringing up kids
    Joe
    You can always get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than with just a kind word.
  • master_blaster_2
    Options
    this is the reply i put on another thread

i had to reply to this
    the school in question is dundonald primary school ( this i know because my child goes to the school and we were one of the lucky parents to get this note)

they have asked for a monetry gift of £10 per child and they are going to buygift vouchers for the teachers & classroom assistant in question.
    not all teachers have sent this note home ( i can only assume that they think it is unreasonable).
    I dont even know if this has been authorised by the head or if someone connected to the class has decided to do this.
    If they wanted to cut down on hassel /expence for parents they should have said either no gifts or money (£2,£5 or whatever amount of parents choice) and this would be given to charity or buy a small gift for the teacher and assistant
    THESE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAYS ……
    ..…JUST WAIT AND SEE
  • fredy34
    fredy34 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    as a teacher i would have to say that is a joke, far too much!
    maybe the headmaster wants a new car!?

oh now that gives me an idea if i can get £1000 per pupil....
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    that is absolutely dreadful!!!!!! I wouldnt do that out of principal.

This year I have decided to give the headmaster (he is retiring dont usually buy for him!!) some fruit trees for africa, and for her teacher some hospital toys for a hospital in africa) They get a card saying what there gift is and who will be receiving it.

I told one parent that i was doing that, and she couldnt believe i was!! She said oh dont you think they will want a gift :confused: :eek: When they have 35 kids in the glass even if 15 give pressies that a hell of a lot of choccies!!!!

Do you lot think what i have done is ok? esp any teachers.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have to admit to never understanding this practice and would love to know when and where it started (sure as heck wasn't about in my day). Schools should be actively discouraged from the sort of practice were some teachers seem to 'expect' gifts at the end of the school year and/or Christmas.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Thriftylady
    Thriftylady Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with giving the teacher a present if the child has really enjoyed being in their class and wants to show their appreciation. But I've always thought that the entire purpose of a gift is that its given voluntarily to show the recipient that the gift giver appreciates them/cares about them (whatever is appropriate to the circumstances!). When something is demanded or asked for its not really a gift......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure