Cutting washing costs

Options
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I hope so.

My problem is my OH goes to the gym during the week and plays sport at the weekends. He sweats a LOT and his sports gear reeks afterwards. I can't see the financial sense in putting the washing machine on every day for one set of gym/sports gear, but I am not sure I have any other option.

He was tending to come back from the gym, put his gear in the washing machine, leave it til the next night and wash two lots at once. The problem with that is that his gear is starting to retain the smell and I have even tried washing his gear twice on long washes and I still can't get rid of it. It isn't that his personal hygiene is poor, he just sweats a lot when exercising. The only option I can see at the moment is getting him to bin his current tops and buy new ones, but then we'll be back to square one in a few months.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Maybe products I can soak his gear in before it is washed? (preferably not expensive!)
What goes around comes around.....I hope!

Comments

• savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 27 November 2009 at 6:35PM
    Options
    I don`t know if it is ok to leave it soaking in it but stardrops is really good for handwashing fabrics and would certainly stop the smell until the following days wash. Or use White vinegar it should take care of it. Add 1/2 cup to the rinse cycle, or presoak them in warm water and 1/2 cup vinegar. Vinegar kills germs, deodorizes, breaks down the sweat in the clothes, and works as a fabric softener. The vinegar smell dissipates as it dries.
    You could handwash his sports gear which would save you using the washing machine.
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    You could handwash his sports gear

:mad:

Or he could do his own
  • edgex
    edgex Posts: 4,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    white vinegar in the wash
    also, he could get some slightly baggier t-shirts
  • ElusiveLucy
    Options
    wallbash wrote: »
    :mad:

Or he could do his own

That was my immediate reaction!!! I certainly won't be handwashing it, I don't handle it before washing unless I can really help it!!

I will give the white vinegar a go. Thanks for the suggestion.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    LOL! Well yes he could handwash it.
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Nudism?! lol (google it!)
  • kataddey
    Options
    buy him some merino wool training kit (icebreaker probably the best option) which won't get smelly like synthetics. Its more expensive but worth it! You'll probably still have to wash it as regularly but it won't retain smells (and can be washed cooler = lower costs). I wore a pair of their boxer shorts and T-shirt for 5 days running whilst doing a trek in South Africa (up to 30 degrees so pretty sweaty!) and they smelt fine at the end!

If his kit is synthetic (most normal sportswear is) you can wash it however you like, it will still stink again pretty quickly!
  • rosekitten
    rosekitten Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Options
    why not look at the shortest wash cycle
    on your machine,wash the first lot leave
    them in the machine and then the next day
    put the next lot in and wash the lot on a longer
    more suitable cycle,a;lso use ariel that will
    shift any smell.I know this because I have three
    smelly blokes here and everything comes out
    sweet smelling
    :j:j:j
  • basmic
    basmic Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    Options
    What are you using to wash the clothes with, and which wash cycle/temperature are you using on the washer?

I'd recommend a cottons 60c wash, using biological soappowder with a tablespoon of soda crystals and a good slosh of WHITE vinegar.
    Everybody is equal; However some are more equal than others.
  • jonesjw
    jonesjw Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Soda crystals are cheap & seem to help the cleaning.

Soda + vinegar = alkali + acid, so I would not try both together.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure