PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

HouseLadder

Options
Can anyone give me information about the website https://www.houseladder.co.uk
I registered in July last year on a monthly fee basis (its free to register but you pay a fee (£69.99 per month to see whos trying to contact you)) - its seems that once my monthly fee runs out I get another person asking for information. Now, I know that it is likely that someone will get in touch having just viewed the website, but has anyone else had emails to say they've got a potential viewer just after their subscription has expired. My latest cost me a months fee, I got an email address, name and mobile number - which I rang.

I arranged a viewing and came back early from holiday to make sure the viewer could look at the property, he didn't turn up, no call to rearrange, no answer to my email to his email address and answer machine on his mobile.

I argued with my wife that this was £70 well spent - she said it looked dodgy - can I have your views

Thanks

Comments

• courtjester
    courtjester Posts: 758 Forumite
    Options
    You'd be better to sign up to a service that has no time limits or monthly subscriptions - there are other companies out there where you pay just one fee at the start to advertise until sold, so you wouldn't have this problem or concern over possible dodgy practice.....

£70 may look OK for 1 month's advertising but it becomes pretty poor value against other fixed fee /no limit services if you need more than one month, and to be honest most properties will.
  • MOLLYBRUSH
    MOLLYBRUSH Posts: 423 Forumite
    Options
    I have a property on with Houseladder. I just paid one fee as far as I know. I did have it on for free, then I got someone interested and so I then had to pay. I thought that was a bit dodgy, but the guy turned out to be genuine and he did come and view. I just paid around £120 for the board and the advertising. I had three viewings yesterday and if I can sell with them, it will save me between 5 and 8 thousand quid. That has to be worth a punt. The reason I went with them in the first place is that my friend used them to sell one of her investment properties. If your house is in a good area and it is pretty standard, it seems mad to pay estate agents fees without giving this a go first.
    There are three ways to get something done; do it yourself, hire someone or forbid your kids to do it.
  • hazeyj
    hazeyj Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    I used the free service and spelt out my mobile number in words and asked potential viewers to do the same in the advert. It worked and I had several calls but all were timewasters really. It migth be ok if there was no rush to sell your place.
    I love this site :beer:
  • mauricekelly
    Options
    Thanks for the response - I've been on the website since Aug 2005 and at first there was no real rush because the house I'm having built in Ireland hadn't started - now its nearly finished so theres quite a lot more urgency.

Anyway - I'm regisered with HouseLadder until the 7th July - whats the betting I get a potential viewer on the 8th???

I'll let you know

Regards
    M
  • Tassotti
    Tassotti Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    Options
    Out of all the free sites, houseladder has the most responses for me (probably because it rates high on google)

As mentioned above, include your number somewhere in the advertisment (it can be done).

Also, buy a For Sale board and put it outside your house. You can even make one yourself if you are that way inclined.

Be lucky

Tass
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you might want to run it past trading standards to hear if they have ever heard of them before too :)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills