We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Natwest Internet Banking

Has anyone noticed that when transfering money from one account to another in Natwest's online banking, the total available money it says is in your account includes your overdraft, so if you transfer too much money you may end up in your overdraft without realising it.

Does anyone else think the amount should clearly split the money into that which I have and that which is available?

It seems silly that i could get charged for transferring money from my current account to my e-savings just because it isn't clear how big my overdraft is.

Comments

  • purch
    purch Posts: 9,865 Forumite
    No.

    But then again, I am able to count, and also I know how much money I have in my account.

    Of course if you can't count, and you don't know how much money you have in your account then maybe you would be confused.
    'In nature, there are neither rewards nor punishments - there are Consequences.'
  • Ask NatWest to cancel your overdraft facility (it would seem you don't want to use it) - then the "available balance" will indeed all be "your" money.
  • I find it annoying too. Usually, I ignore the "available" and use the actual balance, but just after paying in a cheque, the balance shows the amount including the value of the uncleared cheque, which is not yet available. So neither number is of any use to me.

    I don't want to use the overdraft (even though I think some of it is interest-free), but I like having it there to avoid charges in case of accidents - it gives me confidence to keep a lower balance than I would otherwise be comfortable with.

    What I think would be really good would be if you could "ringfence" some amount of your available balance for pending withdrawls (such as cheques) - then the "available" amount shown would subtract that amount for you. [It can be easy to lose track if people don't get round to cashing cheques for weeks after I've written them, for example.] You could use this feature to just subtract off the overdraft so it didn't show up in the available amount.
  • nilrem_2
    nilrem_2 Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Pikachu47 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that when transfering money from one account to another in Natwest's online banking, the total available money it says is in your account includes your overdraft, so if you transfer too much money you may end up in your overdraft without realising it.

    Does anyone else think the amount should clearly split the money into that which I have and that which is available?

    It seems silly that i could get charged for transferring money from my current account to my e-savings just because it isn't clear how big my overdraft is.

    I agree that it can be quite confusing especially when amounts have been added to the account yet not cleared and available for use, hence one is confused with the available balance and whether it's made up of the automatic overdraft amount or the uncleared amounts. :)

    FWIW I neither asked for the automatic overdraft nor have I ever used it but I suppose it might be useful in the event that I accidentally misjudged the amount in my account and overspent! :)
  • Gwhiz
    Gwhiz Posts: 2,322 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    purch wrote: »
    No.

    But then again, I am able to count, and also I know how much money I have in my account.

    Of course if you can't count, and you don't know how much money you have in your account then maybe you would be confused.

    Have to agree with this - it's not exactly difficult!
  • nilrem_2
    nilrem_2 Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Gwhiz wrote: »
    Have to agree with this - it's not exactly difficult!

    I don't think anyone is saying that it is difficult just that it can be confusing at times. :)
  • Gwhiz
    Gwhiz Posts: 2,322 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    nilrem wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is saying that it is difficult just that it can be confusing at times. :)

    OK - but worthy of a thread? :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.