Instant Service on Taking Out Breakdown Cover?

Options
The car is in out garage at home and won't start. I could just call up a garage and get them to come out and help. Or, hopefully, I could take out breakdown cover now and immediately call upon the breakdown cover organisation to come out to assist under that cover agreement. Would they do this or would they refuse to come out on the grounds that the breakdown occured prior to the commencement of the breakdown policy! Thanks.

Comments

• terryya
    terryya Posts: 603 Forumite
    Options
    From memory I think that with most companies you can't call them in the first x number of days.
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    i know some companies have a policy where its an individual that is covered and not the car, so maybe if you know someone with this cover?

Although i dont think i would entertain this idea as it may bump up a renewal premium potentially, not 100% sure on that though
  • lfc321
    lfc321 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a friend who was allowed to do this by the AA a couple of weeks ago. She did have to pay through the nose, though - something like £200 for the year!
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    lfc321 wrote: »
    I have a friend who was allowed to do this by the AA a couple of weeks ago. She did have to pay through the nose, though - something like £200 for the year!

i guess you could cancel before 14 days with only an admin charge though, even though it is a bit unfair
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    also dont total petrol stations offer free breakdown, i know you have to wait 3 days or something and recovery is maybe only back to home or a garage, maybe not covering breakdowns from home?
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    also dont total petrol stations offer free breakdown, i know you have to wait 3 days or something and recovery is maybe only back to home or a garage, maybe not covering breakdowns from home?
    Good idea, but the car is already broken down.

If the OP could drive it to a Total petrol station, he wouldn't need the breakdown cover ;)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i guess you could cancel before 14 days with only an admin charge though, even though it is a bit unfair
    I don't think you can cancel if you have already claimed
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    With the AA if you have already claimed you still have to pay £130.
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    Good idea, but the car is already broken down.

If the OP could drive it to a Total petrol station, he wouldn't need the breakdown cover ;)

when i did it i just filled up another car, they didnt take the registration in the petrol station
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure