Driving my car to scrap

Options
Good Morning Folks,

After a bit of advice please. Tomorrow I have to drive my car from Oxford to Reading. If anyone knows the area I'll be going through Abingdon then down the A4074 to Reading. My car has a clogged fuel filter (I think!) but as I am trading it in on the scrappage, I am just going to try and get it through this one journey to the Fiat dealership.

I am not a memebr of RAC because I didn't renew my subscription last month :mad:. I can drive the car up to about 40 miles an hour with little problems but at higher speeds it begins to jerk and cough terribly.

Any tips on how best to drive? Should I put my hazards on when I am on derestricted roads doing 35miles/hr? My BF will be following me in his car.

Thanks,

Caroline
House saving Targets:
£17,700 / £20,000

Comments

• creased-leach
    Options
    If your b/f is following you anyway, I'd be inclined to reverse the situation & put him in front...attached to a tow rope ;)
    Only dead fish go with the flow...
  • spugzbunny
    spugzbunny Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2009 at 11:05AM
    Options
    Thanks for you reply.

As the car is moving ok at inner city speeds then I think it's best to get it as far as possible like that before resorting to a tow. If we do need to tow it I'll call BFs dad for assistance as I dread to think what a balls up the BF would make of it! BF will be there purely to drive me to Oxford and then back to our house from the dealership.

EDIT to say - the reason I think driving it at 35 miles/hr is safer than the tow is that I have always been led to believe that towing is the last resort becasue it is demanding on the driver and tower and therefore more liekly to casue an accident. Can anyone advise if I'm wrong to think that?
    House saving Targets:
    £17,700 / £20,000
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just drive it at the speed it will go. If that is 35-40 on open roads so be it. That isn't unduly slow. If a line of traffic builds up behind you pull over and let it pass.
  • blued
    blued Posts: 698 Forumite
    Options
    For peace of mind you could join the AA for about £9 and then drive it the day after. If you are towing use a solid towing bar and not a rope as these are safer especially if the car decided not to run anymore meaning no brake servo.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    RAC membership is usually personal. Does your boyfriend have that? If so, should you breakdown, he could call out RAC.

Failing that, could you give a friend who has personal membership a ride out with you to Reading and back?
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    if it was me i would try and do it the night before, but im fairly confident with breakdowns and towing (ownership of a new VW teaches you a lot about breaking down)
  • spugzbunny
    spugzbunny Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    RAC membership is usually personal. Does your boyfriend have that? If so, should you breakdown, he could call out RAC.

Failing that, could you give a friend who has personal membership a ride out with you to Reading and back?

No :mad: he's been planning on getting it and I've been reminding him for about 2 weeks. If we break down - he'll be paying for the tow truck!

TBH - if we break down we'll be going to pick up a mate with RAC personal cover if we can find one and driving them back to the car! I'm reasonably confident we'll make it! There will be a lot of praying!
    House saving Targets:
    £17,700 / £20,000
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Just drive it at the speed it will go. If that is 35-40 on open roads so be it. That isn't unduly slow. If a line of traffic builds up behind you pull over and let it pass.
    Driving all the way round a roundabout then coming off where you want the second time is another good way of letting people pass.
  • emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think you are supposed to drive with your hazards on, I may be wrong.
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    emmell wrote: »
    I don't think you are supposed to drive with your hazards on, I may be wrong.
    ML.

Correct, as the Hazard Lights cancel the function of the indicators.

Personally I would have the vehicle transported on a breakdown vehicle to avoid the hassle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure