misrepresentation but paid car deposit

Options
maxfactor_3
maxfactor_3 Posts: 230 Forumite
edited 27 November 2009 at 2:54AM in Motoring
Hi All ! 2 days ago I saw a car for sale at a reputable garage it was a rover city rover 1.4 yr sept 04 and it had 14000 milege.
I paid a deposit in cash to a sales guy and he kept asking for a deposit even before I test drove it,as it so happens I nervously drove it around the outside of the garage and thought the clutch was a bit dodgy and he said,"Dont worry we,ll check everything and replace if necc !.

The car was priced at £2995 crossed out and replaced with £2795 and he said it was reduced due to the time of year.

I said to him my brother and son would immediately look on autotrader when I got back and how much are they on autotrader ,would he go and check for me to ensure the current price and he said £3000 and Im getting a bargain at £2795.He then agreed I could have it for £2550 cash.

I clearly told him that I would be in a lot of trouble if they are not £3000,he said they are and he had just checked.
I told him I trust him.

When I got back my bro went berserk and said what an idiot Iam and showed me that model is £1700 approx and he rang the garage and said he is upset that they misinformed me.
I rang them and said I would go ahead if they threw in a years warranty worth £350(I was in a hurry for a car and acted naively)

Then this morning I found the same car 2 years even younger an 06,similar milege for £1900

They wont give me my £80 cash deposit back and got shirty with me and I signed a letter when I first went in saying non return deposit.

They said they had a sold sign on it for 2 days.
Should I just forget it or write to them ?
Thanks

Comments

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    I seem to recall that they were selling them for around the £3000 mark brand new in order to get rid of them, when Rover went belly up.
  • maxfactor_3
    Options
    Apparently BMW have taken them over !.
    Not the car side of things but the parts.
  • maninthestreet
    Options
    Steer clear of any car saleman who requires a deposit merely to allow you to test drive a car.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • blued
    blued Posts: 698 Forumite
    Options
    I dont think there is much you can do because it is up to you to research the price BEFORE paying a deposit. However even if they keep your £80 deposit and you go away and buy the newer one you are still getting a better deal and saving over £500.
  • terryya
    terryya Posts: 603 Forumite
    Options
    There isn't a set price - it is just whatever two parties are willing to sell/buy for. The fact that others are cheaper doesn't mean that this dealer doesn't try and sell them for £3k. So to be honest I don't think you have a chance of getting it back and might as well just write it off.

Surely, even with the £80 lose, you'd be better off getting the newer, cheaper one. Plus would you trust the guy to 'sort out' the issues with this one?
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I can't believe you're willing to pay full stop for a city rover, possibly one of the worst cars of the last 20 years.
  • maxfactor_3
    Options
    I went to see the 06 rover and by then I had severly gone off it and put a deposit on a peugeot 307 2001.

Anyway to get back to the point this guy showed me pictures of his grandchildren and said he,d worked their 22 years and was part of the woodwork at the garage and showed me a sign saying they were part of some reputable scheme when you by a car from them.

It was all based on trust I paid the deposit based on the statement he told me he had just looked for me and they are £3000.

It should be voided because he misrepresented to get my deposit.
    I think the contract should be void from the start despite me ringing them and offering to buy the car anyway with a contract.

If I write to them and then at a further date take them to the small claim court they could counter sue and say they,d done work on it like a new clutch, mot, stereo.etc
    It says they can do this on the receipt!
    Although it doesnt say I have to go through with the sale of the car.
  • emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    I've just run it through our local garage p/x calculator, £1125 to £1425 depending on the model. But then you have to put up with the tutting and chin rubbing and "we can't give these away". If i were you I would happily lose the £80 (put it down to bad experience) and do a bit more research before I look again. And I'm sure you can get a lot better car for your money but probably not as new, but if you want cheap 'new' cars you get what you pay for.
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • pinkneonmartini
    Options
    i agree with emmell, count yourself lucky to get away (albeit £80 poorer) and go get yourself something else! If they're being funny about it was probably a lemon anyway ;)
    Debt@LBM1=£4050 1st DFD 27/08/09 :D Debt @LBM2 =£14,469.97 2nd DFD 14/03/2018 :T
    Make £10/day Y1£3.5k Y2£3k Yr3£4k Yr4£1.5k
    DFW NERD 1068 :cool:
    Avios 78,000 :D
  • maninthestreet
    Options
    [/QUOTE=maxfactor;27309201
    Anyway to get back to the point this guy showed me pictures of his grandchildren [/QUOTE]

How coud you have fallen for that???
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family