PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What do you do for Christmas dinner?

Options

Comments

• Essex-girl_2
    Options
    This thread is making me so hungry.

I bake a gammon on Xmas eve and have some of it sliced with poached eggs Xmas morning.

Xmas lunch is the same each year turkey (we all really like it including the dark meat), hm stuffing balls with sausagemeat, pigs in blankets, roasties, mash, carrots peas and sprouts, cranberry jelly and bread sauce. There is a choice of trifle, xmas pud or mince pies for dessert. Then its an afternoon of munching the munchies whilst playing games etc.

Tea - whatever time we fancy it, hm bread with turkey, ham, pate and cheese selection.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Peartree wrote: »
    Forgot to mention that I DO NOT do any shopping on Xmas eve or as far before as I can get away with vis a vis fesh veg. I am also paranoid about 'ordering' and it not turning up. If I'm doing turkey, I buy good quality local fresh a couple of weeks ahead. I usually get a crown and plaster it with butter, get a whole pile of thyme (and whatever else is still alive in the garden) and seal it all up in a plastic bag and freeze. If we have beef, I plaster it with mustard and herbs and then freeze.

I booked a Waitrose slot for 6-8 on the 23 Dec, BUT I'm scared about things being out of stock:eek::eek::eek:
    Then I'm working from 8.30 on Xmas eve till 5pm (hopefully get away early):mad:
    So if I'm short I will have to run down to Tesco midnight shopping on the 23rd:mad::rotfl:
  • norathetiger
    Options
    Waves to all
    How big a turkey do i need for 6 adults and 1 child ?
    Looking to get a fresh bird.
    Anyone help ?
    Thanks
  • NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We always have the same and take it in turns to host and cook. This year its at our house and there will be bewteen 7-10 of us.

Starter
    Smoked salmon, king prawns, small prawns and crab sticks with salad, HM Marie Rose sauce and HM thinly sliced brown bread and butter

Main Course
    Roast Turkey
    Pigs in blankets
    Sage and onion stuffing HM
    Cranberry sauce
    Roasted potatoes in goose fat
    Mashed potatoes
    Roasted parsnips with maple syrup
    Red cabbage with apple and balsamic vinegar
    Button sprouts with chesnuts
    Carrotts with orange juice
    Loads of thick gravy made from the giblets

Dessert
    Christmas pudding with brandy sauce or cream.

One of my favourite meals
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • stressedoutmumof1
    Options
    I have a question for all those that bake a ham/gammon - what size do you use? And do you always have it as a cold cut? I'd really like to do one this year.

Back on topic, I've cooked Christmas dinner every year since I was 16 (my mum died then). This year we finally get an invite to the IL's - but guess what - I'm cooking again :rolleyes: Apparently it's my own fault for being such a good cook :A

Anyway, we're foregoing the starters this year, as the kids don't really like prawns (it's normally always prawn cocktail :o). The main course will be as follows: 8 people

Roast turkey
    HM stuffing - will make at home and transport Christmas day morning
    HM pigs in blankets
    Roast potatoes - roasted in goose fat
    Brussel sprouts cooked in chicken stock, and then quickly tossed in pancetta cubes that have been fried
    Honey glazed carrots
    Mashed swede and carrots
    Peas
    HM bread sauce
    HM cranberry sauce
    HM gravy

I've also been asked to make a Christmas cake and take it round, and our Wii, and do the annual family quiz, and provide the prizes. In essence Christmas day at our house transported to their house :rotfl: Big bonus being though, I'm not paying for it, and I don't have to wash up :j

I will however be repeating the process on Boxing Day for my family - though this will be in our house :D
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    They both sound tasty. Don't suppose you could post the recipes or links to them could you :D

Surely :) I have posted them both on mealplans threads before.

The wellington is here.

For the lentil pie, I plan on using the same recipe for my green lentil loaf to fill a pastry plate pie so it will cut nicely into slices. The differences to change the flavour will be to use dried thyme instead of sage, adding plenty of white pepper and nutmeg. I will probably use tomato puree and perhaps some mustard instead of the ketchup and brown sauce.

Sorry they aren't proper recipes - I am more of a throw it in and see how it goes cook! Even at Christmas ;):D
    Love and compassion to all x
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 December 2009 at 5:15PM
    Options
    Last year for the first time the twins (then 19 and 1/2) cooked us the dinner, mainly roast veg and potatoes, yorkshire puddings (from frozen), stuffing (made with bread saved up for months, milk, onions, eggs and herbs) and homemade gravy. It was very nice.

This year is going to be a bit more complicated because I have gone vegan so I shall have to think of a vegan stuffing recipe, I might also do a nut or lentil roast, but then will let them get on with the rest, they are really good!

We usually have dinner after 5pm so there is all day to get up, open prezzies, laze about, have a glass of fizz (them) and unlimited cups of tea (me), eat chocolate (all of us) and laze about until time to start preparations. Oh, did I mention laze about?

Edited to add: Boodle, just read your green lentil loaf recipe, sounds great, might just use that one! Thank you!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Boodle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    This year is going to be a bit more complicated because I have gone vegan so I shall have to think of a vegan stuffing recipe, I might also do a nut or lentil roast, but then will let them get on with the rest, they are really good!

Me too :) But I wasn't as clever and didn't think the stuffing thing through :rotfl: If you find a nice recipe, I would appreciate it if you could share :A
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Boodle wrote: »
    Me too :) But I wasn't as clever and didn't think the stuffing thing through :rotfl: If you find a nice recipe, I would appreciate it if you could share :A

Paxo? or Whitworths?
  • Boodle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    Paxo? or Whitworths?

Fab - are they vegan? :T I had assumed packet stuffings would be but when Caterina mentioned making her own stuffing, I started to doubt the packets - I have been dicovering how many innocent-looking things have so many hidden things in them! I will have a peep when shopping tomorrow :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family