What to put in homemade crackers

Options
Counting_Pennies_2
Counting_Pennies_2 Posts: 3,979 Forumite
Each year I love the idea of making the crackers, but then I get really stuck and the presents are more naff than the ones you get in a shop.

So far I have some fold up scissors on a key ring (naff I know!) Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Official MSE Insert:

Cracker prices can be, er, crackers, so create your own with the innards of toilet rolls, some pretty paper and pound shop finds. Just follow some of the many instructions you can find online. Coming up with your own lame gags to include inside costs nowt.

[tipsignupbox][/tipsignupbox]

Comments

• RustyFlange
    Options
    whoopee cushion?

miniature perfume/aftershave

Hair clips

pack of crayons/gel pens

Mini hip flask?

Miniature alcohol

Single posh choccy? (thorntons or something similar?)
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • rosalie-lavender
    Options
    You can usually get some nice small pens in W H Smiths. I think they call them diary pens, I have bought them in a pack of four. Wrap them in some tissue though, to make them bigger or they fall out.

In the past I have used things like nice keyrings, m and s small talcs, bubble bath, shower gel and hand cream. Earings and bracelets usually go in my daughters and sometimes a lipgloss.

My problem is what to put in the mens crackers, they are the hardest. I am probably going to resort to chocolate this year.

If you have a hawkins near you they sell lots of little bits and pieces that can be used in crackers.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    there was me about to say nothing lol crackers should be plain and dry so the flavour of the cheese is more powerful

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • porlock
    porlock Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    You could always try raiding the accessories in Primark. I'm making some myself and agonized for ages about putting in 'gender-neutral' gifts. Then I looked at some boxed crackers and realised that they don't usually bother!

Admittedly, I'm only making two anyway, but mine has some beaded bracelets, and his has cufflinks - both from Primark.

I'm also going to attempt to make my own hats as well. Plan is I found the sheet music to some Christmas songs (can't remember where from but it was free & online) which I plan to paint over in watered down ink then make into a paper crown for him and a paper tiara for me! This is my job for this evening so can't yet comment on it's success.
  • knithappens
    Options
    I always put in a lottery scratch card, everyone gets excited by they
  • RustyFlange
    Options
    robpw2 wrote: »
    there was me about to say nothing lol crackers should be plain and dry so the flavour of the cheese is more powerful

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil?
  • cdsmiler
    cdsmiler Posts: 956 Forumite
    Options
    I've had this trouble this year. We're putting the usual hat and joke in (came with the sets!! lol) and then a raffle ticket. For Christmas with the inlaws the raffle tickets will be carefully planned and relate to a matching raffle ticket which is stuck to a table gift. With my parents and nan, the raffle tickets in the crackers will be more random and will relate to a pot of gold (gold sweets/chocolates and scratch card)!

HTH!

Clare x
    :p Addicted to Disneyland Paris! :p
    :snow_grin Planning Christmas 2014! :snow_laug
    :D DD born 17th December 09! :D
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cracker fillers for the men are so much more difficult that girls' ones! I usually put in things like miniature aftershaves (you can buy 5ml bottles of brand name aftershaves on eBay, but I've also cheekily asked for samples from fragrance counters before now!). I've also put in miniature bottles of port or whisky, and tiny halogen torch keyrings. This year I've found a small chunky screwdriver which has about half a dozen different folding screw bits on it, which *just* fits into the cracker, and since Mister C J is always grumbling that he can never find any batteries when he needs them, I've put a couple of rechargeable AA batteries in one of his crackers :)
  • gerryscot
    Options
    Can anyone help.

Each year I love the idea of making the crackers, but then I get really stuck and the presents are more naff than the ones you get in a shop.

So far I have some fold up scissors on a key ring (naff I know!)

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Instead of jokes. How about revealing a short funny story about each of your guests or family members. Then get everyone to guess which person your describing. ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback