PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much is an extra bedroom worth?

Options
I'd be interested in your views on the following. Our non-adjoining next door neighbour sold their house a month ago for £100k. This is a 2 bed 10 year old semi with a conservatory. Our house is the three bedroom version so is bigger with an extra single bedroom and a dining room. We also have a conservatory and a slightly larger garden. How much value would you think the extra rooms would be worth???

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,708 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is far better to compare a 3 bed with other 3 beds, rather than "adding to a 2 bed".
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • It is far better to compare a 3 bed with other 3 beds, rather than "adding to a 2 bed".
    I understand that but the last 3 bed sale was 4 years ago, and we were the buyers!!! There have been several 2 beds sold since then but that's it! I just wanted people's opinions given current volatility
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,708 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not knowing the area it would be very difficult to make a reasoned guess, there could be a lack of 3 bed properties which would make them worth considerably more.

As a rough guide you could look at what you paid and what 2 bed was selling for at about same time, then whatever percentage difference add to £100K.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Hopejack
    Hopejack Posts: 507 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair, I think you've had sound advice - it's really heard to tell the added value from a 3rd bedroom, although clearly it's fairly significant if it's a reasonable size. Like everything to do with house prices, it depends on location and what is going on around and about.

I think you'd be wise to get someone in to value it if you want to know really...
  • marcg
    marcg Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    Very rough way of calculating:

Look at the sales details of the 2 bed houses. Calculate the square footage of the useable area (so ignore hallways) (ie Bedroom 1 10ft x 18ft = 180sqft).
    Divide the sales price by the total sqft to give a price per sqft.

Measure your own house in the same way and multiply the sqft by the rate previously calculated.

Then you add the factors others have described above - are there great schools in the area so young families requiring 3 bed houses will really want it? Or is it a predominantly young professional couples area who really only need 2 beds? +/- all these factors.
    I'm an ARB-registered RIBA-chartered architect. However, no advice given over the internet can be truly relied upon since the person giving the advice hasn't actually got enough information to give it with confidence. Go and pay someone!
  • thriftyamy
    Options
    i think they're all mad what about condition/facilities/modernisation?

valuations are (generally) free, if/when -ever you do decide to to sell your home, dirty estate agents wont hesitate to swipe 2% for 5 minute's work taking a couple photos and posting it on right move!!

get a few round, the worst that could happen is they hassle you for a few days, you say the valuation made you consider waiting for the market to pick up (or whatever)

then you'll know, obviously even they get it wrong, but they'll have a better idea than you could estimate by adding a percentage to next doors value!
  • goldbyron
    Options
    With an extra reception room and single bedroom I would reckon possibly in the region of 25k? Just an estimate.
  • thriftyamy
    Options
    :huh:

I think it's worth about the same as approximately 6.17cm more string!

???
  • RabbitMad
    RabbitMad Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Options
    goldbyron wrote: »
    With an extra reception room and single bedroom I would reckon possibly in the region of 25k? Just an estimate.

I would have said that. Round my way 2 beds were £90k when I bought and 3 beds on the same development were about £105 to £110.

Then when I 1st thought about selling they were £150K to £175 (2005). when I did sell (2007) they were £175 to £210 - £215.

Since then prices have dropped back to their 2005 levels and then increased to 2006 levels, so £25k sounds about right.

But as Kirsty might say, its location location location!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure