White goods insurance

Options
13»

Comments

• rikthered
    rikthered Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is a cautionary tale about mfi extracare insurance but it would be interesting to know if other policies are similar.

My wife bought a replacement fridge/freezer from mfi and was persuaded to take out 5-year protection for an extra 100 quid (on a £500 quid appliance). I must say I would not have done so but at least she walked out the shop feeling she had no worries 'til 2011.

Anyway, it turns out she is a bit of a genius 'cause 18 months later it broke down. They replaced a fan and the food but three weeks later it stopped working again - this time 'beyond economic repair'.

We are waiting for a replacement now so the insurance will have paid out £500 on the new unit plus one repair bill and £100 on ruined freezer food.

Can't complain - except in the smallprint it states that following replacement of the appliance the remaining term of the insurance is invalidated and no refund will be given. In other words we have (hopefully) a new fridge/freezer with a 1-year guarantee but no further insurance cover.

This is certainly not what was anticipated when leaving the shop (no worries for 5 years) and is not a question you would normally think to ask.

Bear it in mind if you are taking out appliance insurance - which in our experience can be worth it for white goods!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure