Small Business Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Stevewegs
    Options
    Hi polymaff
    The account name shown on bank cheque/paying in book is harmonised cabling services it doesn't show the ltd bit
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stevewegs wrote: »
    Hi polymaff
    The account name shown on bank cheque/paying in book is harmonised cabling services it doesn't show the ltd bit

The norm is to use the exact name - including the LIMITED. What I was fishing for was "Steve Wegs T/A Harmonised Cabling Services".

Difficult to advise without knowing more than you'd probably feel comfortable publishing on MSE..
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't have a limited company account then they are correct in chasing you up for the debt.
    Even IF you had a limited company account it is standard practise for a bank to take a personal guarantee to cover any limited company debt.
  • lizzih
    Options
    Hi All
    I am in the early stages of starting up a business (retail shop). Does anyone have any experience of the paypal pdq machine and how it compares to the regular type of pdq?
    Can anyone recommend a good deal/company for taking card payments?

Many thanks:A
  • RobsterUK
    Options
    I recently had a bit of a shock with what Co-op charge on their standard business current account. I had been on their FSB free banking deal, but after the first year I let my FSB membership lapse as it seemed like they kept trying to sell me things I didn't want. It took a while but Co-op recently cottoned on and wrote to me to tell me they were moving me to their standard tariff. I thought fair enough and didn't look into the charges as I'd known it was going to happen at some point, and I didn't think it would be much as nearly all my transactions are electronic.

It turns out that if you have less than £1,000 in the account, they charge you 70p for pretty much every type of transaction, including:
    - Standing order payments
    - Direct debit payments
    - Debit card payments

So without realising it, every time I made a card payment for fuel, or a sandwich , or a USB lead for my tablet (£1.50) it was costing me 70p.
    So my first month of charges came to £24.19.

I don't want to re-join the FSB, and I'm not likely to have over £1,000 in the account any time soon (I recently requested and got an overdraft). So I've applied for an account with TSB.
  • stevetuk
    stevetuk Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wondered if anyone can advise?

We've been trading as sole trader for 14 months and now want to transition to trading under a limited company entity. We're using a personal current account for now with a £1750 overdraft which doesn't give us much flexibility. I don't think we're eligible for any start up business account deals?

The majority of our payments are received electronically. They're less than £4,000 per month. Our largest payouts are usually faster payments made electronically and the largest is than £2.000 per transaction.

We receive cash payments as well and deposit these. Average is around £500-£1000 per month but it could be as high as £2-3,000 as a one off.

We very rarely deal in cheques (we used to at the start but no longer).

Can anyone recommend an account/bank that would be suitable? I can provide more info if necessary!

Many thanks

Steve
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    stevetuk wrote: »
    We've been trading as sole trader for 14 months and now want to transition to trading under a limited company entity. We're using a personal current account for now with a £1750 overdraft which doesn't give us much flexibility. I don't think we're eligible for any start up business account deals?
    The article linked from page 1 of this thread (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/small-business#acc) has some accounts suited to small businesses with low or no charges for an initial period.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be eligible for these - I don't believe they're actually only available to start-ups as such but if you're shifting from sole trader (not sure how that's a 'we' not an 'I' though!) to limited company then that is presumably a new company anyway....
  • stevetuk
    stevetuk Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    The article linked from page 1 of this thread (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/small-business#acc) has some accounts suited to small businesses with low or no charges for an initial period.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be eligible for these - I don't believe they're actually only available to start-ups as such but if you're shifting from sole trader (not sure how that's a 'we' not an 'I' though!) to limited company then that is presumably a new company anyway....

Thanks, I had a look through those but they were all geared to start-ups. The Santander start-up explicitly says in the T&Cs that a change in legal entity is not counted as a start-up so I assumed the others wouldn't be :(
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stevetuk wrote: »
    Thanks, I had a look through those but they were all geared to start-ups. The Santander start-up explicitly says in the T&Cs that a change in legal entity is not counted as a start-up so I assumed the others wouldn't be :(

Why assume ! Check the T&C 's of all the banks you are considering - if you are still not sure phone them.
  • carolth
    Options
    Hello, first time on this forum. Wondering if anyone can give us advice. We are a small partnership business who have been in business for over 40 years. Have banked with HSBC all along without any problems & were paying a fixed fee/tariff right up until last month when without any communication they hiked up the fees, & put us on individual transactional fees which has resulted in monthly banking costs for the business shooting up by 3oo%. Have tried to discuss with our local branch & get no sense whatever, they say nothing can be done & will not negotiate in any way even after threatening to look for alternative banking facilities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure