We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.
Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Yet another bid advice thread!!
Comments
-
david29dpo wrote: »You don't believe the tenant has moved out?
Read again - other way round.0 -
56 DAYS!!!!!! Hardly an incentive for the seller to sell to a ftb is it? In my experience FTBers are a complete nightmare, give me an older casdh buyer anyday! Thats not exactly quick. I have completed in a week before, and this time looks like it should be 14 days, auctions are 28 days......... A ftb with mortgage in place should be able to complete wayyyyyyyyyyyyy sooner, and indeed there is incentive at the moment to do so, with the stamp duty threshold.
Anyhoo, advice to the OP, offer has been rejected all you can do is either increase your offer, wait to see if they backtrack (unlikely) or move on to the next property, only you know how much this property is worth to you.
I should imagine that a house that is new to the market is less likely to accept a low offer than one that has had trouble selling.
who are you using for your conveyancing etc if you're completing so quickly - I need their number!!!
0 -
56 DAYS!!!!!! Hardly an incentive for the seller to sell to a ftb is it? In my experience FTBers are a complete nightmare, give me an older casdh buyer anyday! Thats not exactly quick. I have completed in a week before, and this time looks like it should be 14 days, auctions are 28 days......... A ftb with mortgage in place should be able to complete wayyyyyyyyyyyyy sooner, and indeed there is incentive at the moment to do so, with the stamp duty threshold.
Anyhoo, advice to the OP, offer has been rejected all you can do is either increase your offer, wait to see if they backtrack (unlikely) or move on to the next property, only you know how much this property is worth to you.
I should imagine that a house that is new to the market is less likely to accept a low offer than one that has had trouble selling.
:rolleyes: Missing the point - you set a short a timescale as you are comfortable with - if you miss it you will lose your deposit - hence my reasonable suggestion of 56 days. Given that you are dependent on not just the solicitors to do their thing but also mortgage surveyors to turn up and write up their reports etc etc not to mention possible down-valuations and attached arguments...
The real value in my idea is the exchange of contracts with money down. It is that which shows the real added value of a FTB. If no contracts are exchanged then it is basically the same as a chain.I'm an ARB-registered RIBA-chartered architect. However, no advice given over the internet can be truly relied upon since the person giving the advice hasn't actually got enough information to give it with confidence. Go and pay someone!0 -
thriftyamy wrote: »who are you using for your conveyancing etc if you're completing so quickly - I need their number!!!

If you want it just let me know, I can let you have it, he is excellent but not cheap, never let me down, and extremley thorough as wellPawpurrs x
0 -
Yes my Solicitor is lightening fast but hes only one side of the story. His telephone manner is sharp well rude really to say the least but he gets the job done.0
-
Your not wrong there, MW, actually do we have the same guy? He was pretty abruput with me earlier, if hes busy, he tells you to ring back and allmost slams the phone down, but he is good and I forgive him!
Normally if stuck in a chain, my work is done in a week, and we sit twiddling our thumns for the rest of the gang to catch up:rolleyes:
He also asks twice as many questions, but hey thats what I am paying for!Pawpurrs x
0 -
First offers are always refused and estate agents always b*llsh*t FTBs. I'd tell the estate agent you believe your initial offer to be fair for reasons x and y (your proceedable position, property vacant, sold prices in street), and it will remain on the table: in the mean time you will continue to view other properties. Hopefully they will come back to you in a week or so and tell you what they will accept and you meet half way. Be sure to view other properties through the same agent and make non-committal noises.
Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️0 -
Well I went in with £135k. The agent kept us waiting overnight before phoning to inform us that the offer was declined. Vendor wont budge from £143k. Time to sit things out I think.0
-
We offered 10K under the asking price for our property, we were told by the estate agents it was too low and it was rejected. We waited a few weeks and then the estate agents called us back asking if we were still interested and we got it for our original offer. If you think your offer is fair, then stick to it and only offer what you feel the house is worth. Someone previously posted that estate agents b******t FTB's - absolutely right they do - but thankfully for this website and it's forums we werent such easy targets for them!0
-
My partner received a call from the agents today, (despite the fact that I asked them to deal with myself) notifying us of an offer being placed on the property, and asking us if we would like to increase our own offer.
My partner said that if the vendor was not prepared to negotiate away from £143k, then there was no point - as we dont consider the property to be worth that much.
Now it could be genuine, but then again... I'll be eagerly watching rightmove next week.
I'm not finding this as stressful as I thought I would though to be fair... although I am begining to develop a passionate loathing of estate agents...0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.2K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards