🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

3% charge for using AMEX card

Options
Last month I took out an insurance policy with a well know moddified insurance company, when paying by AMEX I incurred a 3% admin charge taking the policy total to £812.37.

This policy took effect on the 00:01 25/05/06

On the 24/05 I found a cheaper policy with another insurer so decided to cancel the original policy on 25/05 09:00 via the telephone.

I was told at this point that I would incur a £25 admin fee for the original policy, £25 for cancelling the policy, £26.25 for the underwriters admin fee, plus I would not get back the AMEX charge.

This left me with a total refund of £698.75 for a policy that was in effect for 9 hours.

After speaking to AMEX about the fact that I had been charged for using their card, they aggreed to refund the additional amount.

I went back to the insurance company to challenge their additional charges, to be told that I should have been told, and it's in the policy documentation. Told which I replied I wasn't, and not it's not explained in the policy documentation. After much pushing, and explaining to them that I had additional cover in place, they have aggreed to a FULL refund minus the AMEX charge.

Question is, it legal for a merchat to pass it's processing fee's onto it's customers ? Due the merchant get refunded the fee when processing a refund ?

I'm not too worried now that AMEX are covering the full amount, but it's the principle of the matter, that insurance companies make it up as they go along.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport