PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help with taking frozen meals on SC holiday

Options
I've decided that on our SC holiday at CenterParcs starting monday i'm going to take some frozen meals to keep the cost down.
Shepherds pie and lasagne spring to mind.

Couple of questions though as I've never done this before:
Do I make and freeze it in one large portion for the 3 of us or individual portions?
Do I freeze it in plastic or disposable foil containers. Is it best to reheat in the oven or microwave?
Do I defrost before reheating??

Thanks in advance :D
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    How are you going to get it there without partially defrosting?

Is there a freezer in your accommodation, or are you planning to have your frozen meals for your first couple of days?

Sorry, more questions than answers...:o .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do this all the time and my tips would be:

1 Freeze in 'family-sized' plastic containers rather than individual portions.

2 Use them in a coolbag to act as ice blocks keeping milk, butter, cheese nice and cool while traveling.

3 Store in the fridge when you get there and leave to defrost gradually.

4 Re-heat in the micro using the grill to brown/crisp if necessary.

5. Slightly undercook the dish initially to allow for extra cooking through when re-heating.

6. If a pasta dish always cool the pasta with cold running water before adding the sauce to stop the pasta soaking up all the sauce during the freezing/re-heating process.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • apples1
    apples1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    Once you have made the meals and frozen in family size portion (assuming you will all be eating together) I would put them together (along with anything else frozen you are taking) then wrap the parcel of food in lots of carrier bags (assuming you have a drawer full like I always seem to!).

Then put the bundle into a cool bag and put in boot of car - you can pack towels etc round it (if you're taking them anyway) just for added insulation. I've done this many times and food still TOTALLY frozen on arrival. I have also frozen cartons of orange juice which act as ice blocks to keep food cold but you can then defrost them and drink them once you're there!

The only freezer we had in our "villa" was the ice box in top of fridge (so not very big). I agree with other post... defrost slowly in fridge once you're there and cook from chilled. If you want to eat one on first night just defrost in microwave.

First time we went to C parcs we took all our food to save money. Have to say tho that the onsite shop is not over expensive. Prices were fair and on future trips we did shop there more. Its about the only reasonably priced bit about C parcs in my view! Worth taking own wine/beer tho as that seemed expensive.

Have a lovely hol.
    MTC NMP Membership #62 - made it back to size 12 after my children & I'm staying here!
  • astep70uk
    astep70uk Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    Wow - thanks guys

I've frozen my milk and juice to act as ice packs and I've made a shepherds pie for when we get there in the evening and some bolognese sauce for the following day.
    Thanks for all your help and advice - i've never done the frozen meals thing before!! :D
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We went on holiday when I was weaning our son at about 7 months old. I cooked a load of veg and fruit, cooled it in the fridge, then put it in a cool bag with ice packs and froze it when we got there. (B and B but sorted it out with the owner before we got there.)

I was worried about it partially defrosting on the journey and thought it was safer to keep it cool on the journey but wait till we were there to freeze it.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport