withdrawing cash - First Direct / HSBC

Options
I use my local HSBC branch to pay money into my First Direct account and their cashpoint for withdrawals. After a very frustrating and annoying episode when the cashpoint paid me less cash than I requested although the receipt showed the correct amount, which took ages to sort out, I have decided I no longer want to use the cashpoint. Can I withdraw money over the counter at HSBC from the First Direct current account using my debit card or is the only way I am able to do so is to write a cheque?
People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali

Comments

• rudster
    rudster Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    you can withdrawn money over the counter with ID and a cheque book, if you dont have a cheque book at hnad then you need to call first direct every time you want to make a withdrawl over the counter at hsbc.

I would not let one incedent put you off ever withdrawing cash again at an atm, i think your over reacting
  • onlypaddy
    Options
    so the machine had one little issue, which is not uncommon and you decide to swear off cash machines altogether? do you apply this criteria always? e.g if your washing machine has a slight hiccup, do you immediately throw it out of the window and go back to hand washing and drying with a mangle?
    Debts at LBM (May '08) £5760 - Lloyds CC £4260, Lloyds OD £1500;
    Debts as of May 28th 2011:
    Santander CC: £0.00
    Lloyds OD : £0.00
    DFW Nerd #1247 - Proudly dealt with my Debts :D Olympic 2012 Challenge #12
  • rudster
    Options
    onlypaddy wrote: »
    so the machine had one little issue, which is not uncommon and you decide to swear off cash machines altogether? do you apply this criteria always? e.g if your washing machine has a slight hiccup, do you immediately throw it out of the window and go back to hand washing and drying with a mangle?

probably a very difficult customer too
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Options

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • taurusgb
    taurusgb Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 24 November 2009 at 1:52PM
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Actually I don't believe that I said it only happened once ....... and what's wrong with hand washing and using a mangle? very moneysaving ! ;)
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • withnell
    withnell Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Options
    As the op says, it took ages to sort out - so I can understand the need to w/d cash at the counter

If my washing machine took ages to sort out, then yes I probably would have to wash by hand!
  • onlypaddy
    Options
    but once sorted out i assume you would go back to the more convenient way....
    Debts at LBM (May '08) £5760 - Lloyds CC £4260, Lloyds OD £1500;
    Debts as of May 28th 2011:
    Santander CC: £0.00
    Lloyds OD : £0.00
    DFW Nerd #1247 - Proudly dealt with my Debts :D Olympic 2012 Challenge #12
  • taurusgb
    Options
    but once sorted out i assume you would go back to the more convenient way....

Withdrawing cash over the counter won't be inconvenient for me - I pass the bank every day and usually only need a small amount of cash per week as I use a cash back credit card (moneysaving again! ;)) for all purchases that I possibly can.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Why not get your cash from a Supermarket, I do, at least you can count it in front of the till operator.
  • taurusgb
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    Why not get your cash from a Supermarket, I do, at least you can count it in front of the till operator.

I did think of this but I usually pay by credit card in the supermarket because of the cash back I earn (I pay it off in full every month)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure