🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

how do i tell if its self cleaning?

Options
i know this sounds like an awful thing not to know but i generally buy self cleaning ovens, but my ex bought this just days before xmas when our one exploded and i was in hospital. cant find the book that comes with it and its in desperate need of clean which leads me to second question which is a moneysaving and healthy way to clean it as all the shop bought stuff sends all my family into the garden unable to breathe and leaves them hoarse for days?

Comments

• TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does the oven lining have some sort of coating? If so maybe you can google your make/model and try to find some sort of instructions for cleaning.

I purposely chose an oven with no fancy self-cleaning liners as I prefer to use hot water/washing up liquid or non scratch cream and do it frequently. We don't have meat as such, only chicken which I cover with foil so my oven doesn't get very dirty.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Had the oven for nearly a year and only now needs a clean.
    Admire your cooking technique , I roast/ burn in lots of spitting fat :rotfl:
    So need to clean frequently , my next oven will be a very expensive self clean.

Yes some sprays ( Mr Muscle !!!!) are really obnoxious
    But I find Oven pride . works very well and low odour.

also the bag idea is sheer genius .
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wallbash wrote: »
    Had the oven for nearly a year and only now needs a clean.
    Admire your cooking technique , I roast/ burn in lots of spitting fat :rotfl:
    So need to clean frequently , my next oven will be a very expensive self clean.

Yes some sprays ( Mr Muscle !!!!) are really obnoxious
    But I find Oven pride . works very well and low odour.

also the bag idea is sheer genius .

I second the Oven Pride suggestion, and i use Astonish on the glass doors which brings them up brand new.

I don't know about the self clean thing though, don't think mine has that :eek:
  • andy69_2
    andy69_2 Posts: 1,998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dont know if it will work for an oven but if i clean a microwave i put a bit of bleach in a cup and put it in the microwave for a bit, then take it out and all the bleach has soaked onto the sides, then i just wipe clean very easily!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport