Alarm maintenance.... security code?

Options
albir
albir Posts: 8 Forumite
I have an alarm system that is currently maintained by company A. They charge circa £100 pa for annual check and £100 for any call out. This is a system with an audible alarm and no phone monitoring connection.
Company B charge much less.
I want to change to company B, or do it myself, but they tell me that we need a release code from co.A in order to undertake maintenance. Co A first said it would need 3 months notice to quit, then £50 to provide the code. Upon further discussion with co A they said Co B can't be any good as they would know how to access the code anyway, I asked them to just tell me the code but they explained it was secret as they used it on all their systems! I have had to use Co A for annual service this year but feel that they are being obstructive so would like to leave them anyway. So, question, how can I get hold of - or reset - this code and make alternative arrangements without paying any more to these people?
I am inclined to carry out my own maintenance and declare this to my insurance co, as far as I can see they only check/replace the battery unless there is a fault anyway!

Comments

• basmic
    basmic Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    Options
    Any idea what make and model the keypad is? If not, have a look.

I do know each make/type alarm has a generic "engineer's code", hence Company A saying B can't be upto much if they don't know a standard code. It could be they're assuming it's been changed from the default code, which any decent company should do anyway.
    Everybody is equal; However some are more equal than others.
  • basmic
    basmic Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    Options
    I stand corrected. They do have an engineer's code, which can be changed - but this can be reset.
    Everybody is equal; However some are more equal than others.
  • albir
    Options
    Thanks; I'll look for make etc. when I'm next there!
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    sometimes removing the internal battery will reset the code.
    the usual numbers are summat like 0123 or 1234 etc...
    Get some gorm.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    what does your contract with them say? if there is no mention of the 3mth notice period and that you have to pay to get a code then point it out to them and ask for it...put all this in writing to the company head. If your contact mentions the charges/notice period I guess you will have to pay or see if the new company can work out the code
  • thescouselander
    Options
    Crikey, what a rip off! What sort of system do you have? I hope its an incredibly good one for the money they are charging! If you cant get your hands on the code it might be easier and cheaper just to replace the control box and maintain it yourself.
  • totalsolutions
    Options
    Just fitted a new backup supply battery myself for £22 lasted 7 yrs. DIY
  • albir
    Options
    It's a [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Honeywell Galant, 6160EX keypad, I know the default codes and I know they are currently not the ones in use - I even know how to get back to default if only I knew the engineers code currently entered in order to do so......
    if I can do this I will maintain it myself.
    [/FONT]
  • The_Pedant
    Options
    Can you not insist on them handing over the code? If they use the same on everywhere then that's their own stupid policy's fault.

They are essentially locking you out of the system that you OWN.

Did you sign any agreement with them? Unless it is in their terms & conditions that you will pay a fee to release the maintenance code then stick to your guns and demand it. It might be argued that they have essentially locked you out of a system, and could find themselves on the wrong side of the law (postulating here).

The devil may be in the detail......
  • mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Options
    google: NVM reset, it may help
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure