PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What else can I do?

Options
A few days ago I posted my SOA in another thread and got told I was spending a lot on shopping- about £80 a month I've worked out, for 2 of us, which I always assumed was quite frugal, but maybe I've lost touch with reality. Anyway the recommendation was I come here and look at some of the tips- thing is, most of them I'm already doing. All my cleaning is done with bicarb, vinegar or (at a push) soapy water, Me and OH both eat veggy at home, and I try to use dried pulses as opposed to quorn or tinned ones (except when I forget to soak them!), don't eat ready meals or things like cake, we buy what we can at Lidl, veggies from the market, herbs and spices from Julian Graves and top the rest up from Tesco, I try and buy things in bulk when we can afford to shell out enough at one time- I even use my teabags twice! I can't see what else there is I can do to reduce the bill- is £80 really a lot of shopping? If so, is there something I'm missing? what could I be doing wrong?! I know you're all experts on this kind of thing so I'm hoping I can pick up some tips I've missed!
"People who "do things" exceed my endurance,
God for a man who solicits insurance..." - Dorothy Parker

Comments

• bonnie_2
    bonnie_2 Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    Options
    the national debtline figure is actually £60 a week for a couple so i think your doing really well. people get carried away with shopping money.
    you actually need to eat well to live not the other way round.
    dont worry about it.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Its easier the more people there are.For 2 10 pounds each a week sounds okay to me.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Blimey I think I'm pretty frugal spending £60 a week for 5.If I were as frugal as you I'd be spending £50.

Sounds like you're doing something right to me Lady Fuschia:)
  • lady_fuschia
    lady_fuschia Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    Phew! That's re-assuring! I'd obviously wandered into miser's corner when I was told I was over-spending! I didn't think it was that bad- cheers people!
    "People who "do things" exceed my endurance,
    God for a man who solicits insurance..." - Dorothy Parker
  • emilyt
    emilyt Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I feel really bad now. I spend £100 week for 4 myself, my husband and 2 daughters aged 17 and 19. O and 1 very hungry cat. That includes all cleaning products and toilteries .Although it does seem a lot. So well done Lady_fuschia.I think it's me that needs some advice from all you experts on here.
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile :D
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to spend about £25 a week on shopping for myself and my other half. That was including quite normal food, but all of which was sourced from my local butchers and grocers, convienently outside my house. We ate seasonally and benefitted from a regularly changing diet! = )
    Tim
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £80 per month sounds great. Perhaps they misread it as £80 per week?
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Options
    Prudent wrote:
    £80 per month sounds great. Perhaps they misread it as £80 per week?

That's what I think too - £80 a month is really good.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    I think I'm averaging around £80 per month for 2 at the moment myself. Sounds good to me. However, do keep coming back to see us....new faces are very welcome
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could try having a look at my menu planner. I can get my food budget down to £42 per month for 3 people with this:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=157526&highlight=black-saturns+menu
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business