I wanna buy - Keyboard(piano) or guitar

suzyp1982suzyp1982 Forumite
252 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
I know nothing about either!!!!

My DH has decided that he wants to learn one or the other! he has never played a musical instrument in his life so this should be amusing!!!

I would prefer the guitar (it seems a little more cool!) but i am thinking the keyboard as you can wear headphones!!!

You recommendations are greatly received as i am completly in the dark!

Looking to spend no more than £60 If thats possible??? i dont mind buying second hand either

Replies

• emmellemmell Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Have you thought about a ukelele, £60 would buy a half decent one and they seem to be really popular at the moment and only 4 strings to get used to. Look on youtube at people playing them. I bought one in the summer and still haven't mastered it yet (or the guitar or the keyboard) still I live in hope.
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • edited 22 November 2009 at 12:47AM
    Patrick20Patrick20 Forumite
    754 Posts
    edited 22 November 2009 at 12:47AM
    the popularity of ukelele's will pass. Most (not all) People who will buy them will end up having it as an ornament. I have had both a guitar and keyboard. I would suggest a guitar. It's much cheaper to get a quality guitar than a quality keyboard( lets not even talk real pianos) Both are equally fun to play. Learning to play a song on a keyboard is much easier than guitar but i felt more satisfaction when i learned my first chords on a guitar.

I would suggest not going below £100 in buying a guitar because cheap guitars can make you feel like your not playing right wen its actually the guitar.

I would also suggest an acoustic guitar UNLESS you have the cash for an equally expensive amplifier. And you can't get a cheap amp either because that also makes you sound awful.

no matter what instrument you buy stay well away from argos and places like that. go to a real music shop where you will get advice and a decent product.
  • An acoustic guitar would be the best option i agree

Keyboards are a bit rubbish and to get anything good costs a fourtune as well as having somewhere big enough to keep it

On the guitar front i always think that second hand ones are the best idea, go around a few music shops and work out the kind of thing that you want and then look around your local area in the free adds and stuff like that to find a good one.

One of my friends had a really good deal the other day though you won't find this anywhere. He's a guitarist and had broken his guitar (during a drunken night he fell on it) one day he went to supermarket and there was a homeless person begging him to buy his guitar from him. He wanted £20 so he thought that would do until he got a new one. Turns out it was worth around £250 pounds. He did feel bad that he's got that guitar at such a low price from a homeless person but he didn't know what it was worth
    £11,000 in 2011 = £71.74
  • Oh and Ukes don't do it.

I've only got one friend that plays one and he has 2 electric ones that he plays metal on. But no one else i know does it seriously. Its not a serious instrument
    £11,000 in 2011 = £71.74
  • edited 22 November 2009 at 6:54AM
    Patrick20Patrick20 Forumite
    754 Posts
    edited 22 November 2009 at 6:54AM
    I would advise away from buying second hand unless you know what your doing. greenpixie your friends story ends happy for him but equally someone who doesn't know what they are doing could spend £250 on a £20 peice of tat.

SUZYP if you decide on getting a guitar then i'd be happy to point you in the direction of decent budget guitars.
  • BritRaelBritRael Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    The only option with this budget would be s/h but you'd need help not to get a lemon.

You could pick up a 5 octave s/h keyboard for around 150 pounds which would be very suitable to start with (they are often advertised on supermarket boards, especially a little while after Christmas ;)). As has been said, (to start with) a keyboard is easier to learn and headphones are a great help in not annoying anybody within earshot :)

There is a load of advice as far as playing/learning a guitar goes (whether electric or acoustic), so feel free to PM me.

I was given my first acoustic at 10 years old. It was a real cheapo, but I learnt loads of chords and songs etc. on it. The thing is, as with everything in life, it is not how much you spend on something, it is how much time and effort that you put into learning it.
    Good luck, I'm sure he'll have a lot of fun whatever he decides to go for :)
    Marching On Together

I've upped my standards...so up yours! :)
  • BritRaelBritRael Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Patrick20 wrote: »
    ...I would also suggest an acoustic guitar UNLESS you have the cash for an equally expensive amplifier. And you can't get a cheap amp either because that also makes you sound awful.

I can see where you're coming from, but it is possible to get a decent s/h amp. I've got a Peavey 112 Bullit which is a great amp, and they go for around 30 quid on ebay. It is a very popular amp for gigging. The only drawback with this model is that it does not have a headphone socket.
    Patrick20 wrote: »
    ...no matter what instrument you buy stay well away from argos and places like that. go to a real music shop where you will get advice and a decent product.

Definately!! :)
    Marching On Together

I've upped my standards...so up yours! :)
  • suzyp1982suzyp1982 Forumite
    252 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks people!

So i have decided that guitar would be better, he like a challenge and i think he would get more out of a guitar than keyboard (he likes to think of himself as a rock star!!:rolleyes:)

If i could get some advice or links to possible acoustic guitars for £100 (ideally less!) then i would be eternally grateful as i know nothing! i dont know what the differences are

Thank you:A
  • http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-Guitar-Package-Everything-A-Beginner-Needs_W0QQitemZ300369187080QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item45ef661108

How about this? Its from a reputable seller they have a warehouse near where i live and my son goes there for his strings amongst other stuff we have had to buy for him. They can be found through yell.com for over the phone conversations to make sure you are happy with what you are looking for. I have never had any problems with them.
    :j Was married 2nd october 2009 to the most wonderful man possible:j

DD 1994, DS 1996 AND DS 1997

Lost 3st 5lb with Slimming world so far!!
  • daskadaska Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Pros and cons with every option.

I think you have a simple choice:
    a. spend ages choosing something that may or may not be right for any of a million reasons, or
    b. write him an IOU for as many trips to the music shops and a budget of up to £x as it takes him to find something that floats his boat.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides