PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MAry Berry Ultimate cake book missing

Ohh. My local authority library are supposed to have 2 of this book and they are both 'missing'!!

I am really peeved as my daughter wanted to make butterfly cakes for school bun day on friday.

Has anyone got a good butterfly bun cake recipe they could share, please.

TIA

Patch

Comments

• Hi

I usually make buns by the weight of egg method, ie:

weigh 2 eggs then what ever they weigh that gives you the weight of flour, marg and sugar. So if your eggs weigh 2 1/2 oz then it is 2 1/2 oz each of SR flour, marg and sugar. I always add a level teaspoon of baking powder plus a tablespoon of hot water.

HTH
    Anne
  • saving-grace
    saving-grace Posts: 284 Forumite
    100g margarine
    100g caster sugar
    100g SR flour
    2 eggs

Beat together. Fill paper cake cases
    Bake at 190 deg c Mk 5 for 15-20 mins

Allow to cool , cut a slice from top of each cake. Pipe or spoon some buttercream onto each cake and arrange halved tops to look like wings.

Buttercream:
    175g softened butter
    350g sifted icing sugar

You can vary the recipe eg add grated orange/lemon rind to the cake mix and orange/lemon juice to the icing or add some cocoa to the cake mix and 2 tblspns cocoa with 3tblspns warm water to the icing

Mary Berry adds 1 teaspn baking powder to the cake mix but I don't bother

If you have a Morrisons near you they sell the Bero book for £1.09 which is well worth getting for basic cake recipes
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped! Combo Breaker
    Just checked my copy of Mary Berry's Ultimate Cake Book.

It's;
    4 oz soft marge
    4oz caster sugar
    2 eggs
    4 oz self-raising flour
    1 tsp baking powder

Put everything in a bowl and beat really well.
    Spoon into about 18 cake cases and bake for 15-20 mins at 200c/gas 6

For the icing
    2 tbsp cocoa
    3 tbsp hot water
    6 oz soft butter
    12 oz icing sugar,sifted

Mix the cocoa and hot water,allow to cool a bit, then beat in the butter and sugar.

When cakes are cool slice the tops off and halve the slices.
    Put buttercream on cake and stick on slices to make wings.

Excellent book;)
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    mary berrys book Fast Cakes is very good too all the recipes are mix everything together sort of thing
  • EssexGirl
    EssexGirl Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Ohh. My local authority library are supposed to have 2 of this book and they are both 'missing'!!

I am really peeved as my daughter wanted to make butterfly cakes for school bun day on friday.

Has anyone got a good butterfly bun cake recipe they could share, please.

TIA

Patch

Please don't be too rough on your library. In the one I work at eveything that's not tied down gets pinched! And I work in a London library, not Essex!
  • aimme13
    aimme13 Posts: 458 Forumite
    i noticed last week when i did the rounds of all the charity shops, every one seemed to have a couple of copies of various cake making books by mary berry........maybe worth checking out your local ones
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.