PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Foraging - Natures Food

Options

Comments

• phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    can anyone tell me what time of year to start looking for wild garlic in the south of England? is it soonish?

TIA
    weaving through the chaos...
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Its around now, from March I think.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • flaire
    flaire Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    phizzimum wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what time of year to start looking for wild garlic in the south of England? is it soonish?

Ramsons, or wild garlic, are found across Europe in damp woodlands and hedgerows. From April to June they're normally in flower - from Mabey's Food for Free

Pick young leaves and eat raw in a salad - according to Ray Mears.

Roughly - from now onwards!

Also available in April:-

Bistort
    Carrageen
    Cow Parsley
    Dandelion flowers
    Fairy-ring champignon
    Hawthorn leaves
    Hop shoots
    Morel
    Stinging nettle - ooooh, nettle and potato soup tastes similar to leek and potato...honestly.
    Sea beet
    St George's mushrooms - don't expect many because Jamie Oliver has had them all to feed Mr Brown's guests at 10 Downing Street last night.
    Sweet violet
    Tansy leaves

I don't know where I'd be without Mabey and Mears.

Regards.
    :hello:
  • phizzimum
    Options
    thanks for such a comprehensive reply!

how many of us are foraging these days? it's something I'd like to get into (must get a copy of Food for Free, I know, I know!)

last year I tried nettles for the first time, and a friend introduced me to hawthorn leaves recently. I wonder what other people's favourites are and how they use them
  • Ballymackeonan
    Options
    I've been foraging for the last few years in my local park - I seem to be the only person gathering blackberries there! Last year was a bumper crop - I rinse them, bag and freeze, and use through the winter, had blackberry and apple last night! I've found horse mushrooms in the autumn, and I'm looking forward to wild raspberries this year, since I found some just at the end of their season last year. The place where I found them is in an area that was used for allotments during the war, possibly there will be other goodies "gone native" there as well.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've always foraged. When I was little, the whole family, including grandmother, aunts and cousins would go picking blackberries on Mitcham common and my mum and dad used to take my brother and myself to Wimbledon common to gather nuts.
    And then of course, there were the times my cousin and I would go scrumping. :o
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I've been foraging for the last few years in my local park - I seem to be the only person gathering blackberries there! Last year was a bumper crop - I rinse them, bag and freeze, and use through the winter, had blackberry and apple last night! I've found horse mushrooms in the autumn, and I'm looking forward to wild raspberries this year, since I found some just at the end of their season last year. The place where I found them is in an area that was used for allotments during the war, possibly there will be other goodies "gone native" there as well.

Opposite where I live was some overgrown land that used to be allotments years ago. Hidden in the overgrowth were some plum trees that I used to pick every year. Sadly there are now houses on that site! You probably will find some goodies there.

I've always foraged for the things I can identify but have increased in the last few years and learned new things. Still wont pick mushrooms but would love to find a giant puffball!
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • phizzimum
    Options
    went out yesterday evening on the lookout for wild garlic, but couldn't find any. I'll keep looking and try to think of some other places to go.

did come back with a bag of nettles though. made potato and nettle soup and it was lovely - gave DH half a cup to try, and he went back for seconds so that's a result!

I'm going to make some more for the weekend as we have guests coming. I won't tell them what it is until they've eaten it (or should I casually inquire about allergies first?;))
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    phizzimum wrote: »

I'm going to make some more for the weekend as we have guests coming. I won't tell them what it is until they've eaten it (or should I casually inquire about allergies first?;))

Well...I just do a catch-all query "Is there anything you cant eat or dont like?" before feeding anyone a meal...that covers all bases for them to mention allergies/dislikes/chosen ways of eating/etc....
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tiff wrote: »
    Still wont pick mushrooms but would love to find a giant puffball!

In a Jamie Oliver show, his Italian chef friend said there were over 2,000 species of mushrooms in the UK, and only two will kill you. There are also a small number that may make you ill if you eat them raw.

Why not take a camera with you next time and photograph any mushrooms you see. Later you can try to identify them and if they are safe to eat. Identifying what is growing in your area has got to be easier than trying to learn them all before you go out.

I would start by learning just one type, and only picking that type until I was confident and ready to add another one to my list.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure