PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Quick bread recipe

Options
Hi
I wondered if anyone can help me. I need to find a bread recipe that can be made from start to finish in under an hour and a half - preferably less as I'm working with young people who want to cook bread.
Any suggestions really appreciated.
Thanks
Sharra

Comments

• Skint1
    Skint1 Posts: 1,362 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Sharra
    Skint1s Wife here
    Have you tried Soda bread ?
    Here's the recipe.
    2 cups (8 oz) self raising wholemeal flour2 cups self-raising white flour
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1 tablespoon lard (or vegetable shortening works too)
    1-1 1/2 pints buttermilk (or just soured milk--regular milk with a squeeze of lemon juice in it--sounds gross but trust me on this)

Preheat oven to 190C/Gasmaerk5, put baking paper onto baking tray
    Sift flours and soda together in large mixing bowl. Rub in shortening until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Make well in center and add milk until you get a moist, soft dough. (exact amounts depend on your brand of flour.

Turn dough onto floured work surface and knead lightly until smooth, form into a round about 8 inches and place on papered tray. cut a deepish cross on top

Brush loaf with water, sprinkle with a little flour, and bake for 20-30 minutes.

Heaven when spread with butter and jam while still warm

Hope this helps All told, this shouldn't take more than 45 minutes start to finish
    You can always get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than with just a kind word.
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Sharra

How about soda bread? Should take an hour or less - doesn't use yeast, so doesn't need rising/proving time. Texture more like scone than bread made with yeast.

Best eaten fresh as it doesn't keep too long - but that's never a problem for me as I love soda bread, so it doesn't hang around for long! :D Reminds me of childhood visits to Ireland.

Here's Delia's straightforward recipe

HTH
    4 May 2010 <3
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Great minds think alike, Skint1! :beer:
    4 May 2010 <3
  • Skint1
    Skint1 Posts: 1,362 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Sazbo--snap!

Just remembered the easiest bread recipe in the world.

You will need 1 pound of self-raising flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 cans lager

Preheat oven to 190/gas5. Grease :D loaf pan.

Sift flour into large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar and 1 can of lager. You will get a thickish batter. Pour this into loaf pan, bake for 20-30 minutes, drink second can while you wait. Guinness and bitter also work, just makes darker bread#
    :D:D:D:D:D
    You can always get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than with just a kind word.
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    The lager bread sounds intriguing -its such a shame but I think the powers that be might not be convinced we were bread making if we turned up to our youth session with loads of beer lol :)
  • oOMiaOo
    oOMiaOo Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    Soda bread's a winner. I have also made baps in less than 1.5hrs with a youth group for people with learning disabilities. The beauty of the recipe is that I have never managed to balls it up, no matter what I do, even though I am completely pants at making normal bread :rolleyes: They also cool down a bit quicker than a whole loaf.

450g plain flour
    1tsp salt
    275ml in total of milk and water (mixed half & half)
    50g butter
    2 x 7g sachets of fast action dried yeast
    1 tsp sugar

Preheat oven to 425F (220C/gas7)

Warm milk, water & sugar in pan til lukewarm.
    Add butter and stir til melted.
    Meanwhile sift flour & salt into bowl and add the yeast.
    Make well & pour in liquid. Mix to soft dough & knead until smooth & elastic (doesn't take much).
    Cover with damp cloth/cling film and leave to rise in warm place for as long as you can (the 2 sachets of yeast helps it rise quickly - we didn't have a warm place in our youth group, but it still rose)
    Knead dough lightly and divide into 8-10 pieces. Make bap shapes & leave on baking tray for 10-15 mins.
    Bake for 10-15 mins. Lower heat after 5 mins to 400F (200C/gas 6). Ready when pale brown.

I put together a timetable because it is tight to fit it into the session, and you have to be a bit organised. It's on my computer at work, but I could send it to you if you're interested. Just PM me. (also have the recipe set out in big font so it's easy to follow). :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport