We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Debt Recovery for Money I don't owe

2»

Comments

  • Ryann wrote: »
    My main worry - will the new tenants find it hard to get utlities from other supplies because of the debts of previous tenants?

    I rented out a property previously and the previous tenants incurred a sizable debt. i informed the ultility company of the date i moved it, they accepted it and continued to supply billing me for my own usage. so, its not normally a problem.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ryann wrote: »
    I used an NLA template.

    I have just opened up another letter and it's an electricty bill with no name on it.

    I hate letting out. I wish I had never bought a property to let out.

    I did in the past but they couldn't find me tenant quick enough the last time around.

    Being a landlord means dealing with periods of vacancy and tenants who don't pay rent or bills - it's a job not an easy ride. Did you give closing readings and supply the new tenant's name when the previous tenant moved out or did you just rely on the tenant's to be honest? Did you have a full credit check carried out on the last tenants? Do you have a forwarding address or guarantor address? :confused:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Most of the utilities companies are pretty good with landlords, EDF being the exception,I am seeing them in court in the new year. I have just recently had a similar problem with Thames Water. One simple phone call was all it took to sort the problem.
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    If you believe that your tenants have posed as you in order to switch bills into your name, get a copy of your credit record from Experian and check whether they've also taken out loans or goods in your name.

    There's an organisation where you can register your details and which means that any credit taken out in your name has to be double checked with you. This is the type of thing a non-resident landlord does to protect themselves against ID theft and fraud.

    I took it out when my passport was stolen (theft not related to tenants). Unfortunately, I've forgotten the name of this company but perhaps other posters will know.

    EDIT - now I remember the organisation that protects against identy theft.

    www.cifas.org.uk/
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 16,034 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 20 November 2009 at 12:26PM
    Hint: (I'm sure you all do this already...)

    At the start of any tenancy write, copy to tenants, keep a copy, a letter to Council, utilities, BT, TV licensing, etc. etc. whoever stating who the occupier now is, dates, & giving the meter readings...

    At least you then have some proof you told them....

    NB If someone has tried that trick they may be trying others: I found someone (probably not a tenant) had made 2 attempts at opening Catalogue shopping accounts in my name at a house I used to live in & now rent out... Suggestion: Make sure you have mail re-directed from any previous address now rented out...


    Cheers!

    Lodger
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.