Does egg want us to forget about its anniversary 0% transfer offer?

Options
I was eligible to make a 0% transfer to my egg card for five months during the anniversary month of opening the card last year and for a final time this year. Last year, I received phone calls and e-mails in the run-up to the period urging me to take advantage of the offer. This year, nothing. Instead, I was offered another offer of 3.9% plus a handling fee starting two months before the anniversary offer. The period of this offer coincided with the period of the anniversary offer. Clearly, they're hoping we'll forget (which I did). When I wrote to enquire, they confirmed that I had been eligible, but had missed the deadline and offered me something like 1.9% plus a handling fee. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm not happy.

Comments

• asharon
    asharon Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The anniversary offer has gone anyway really as they now charge an uncapped BT fee.
    Nice to save.
  • DJ1UK
    DJ1UK Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My 2nd anniversary was this month. (I had the original one 2 years ago, and the anniversary last year).

When I logged into my account - I am presented with a 'Happy Anniversary' page and an invitiation to transfer a balance. I also got an email on the 1st of June to invite me to transfer a balance at 0%.

DJ
  • sly_dog_jonah
    sly_dog_jonah Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    DJ1UK wrote:
    My 2nd anniversary was this month. (I had the original one 2 years ago, and the anniversary last year).

When I logged into my account - I am presented with a 'Happy Anniversary' page and an invitiation to transfer a balance. I also got an email on the 1st of June to invite me to transfer a balance at 0%.

DJ

June is my 3rd anniversary, and I got written confirmation in March that I would get another 0% anniversary offer. [I also got written confirmation that it would be fee-free, but they subsequently did a U-turn on that as we all know].

In February they offered 1.9% for 5months, which I took them up on, realising that this would expire end of June.

Egg then cracked the anniversary offer, subjecting it to uncapped fee so I decided against doing it, and will close my egg card after paying off the balance before the end of the month.

This month, I still haven't got an anniversary email, but instead I got the offer via secure message yesterday of converting my existing balance to 7.9% for life (standard APR for new purchases etc would remain unchanged, but there would be no fees). I have until June 30th (coincidentally the end of my 1.9% deal) to take them up on it. Unusual behaviour for egg, but they won't retain my business with rubbish offers like that.

My Egg Money card will be retained for cashback and SBT purposes, but otherwise it's bye bye egg.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • DJ1UK
    DJ1UK Posts: 370 Forumite
    Options
    Same here - once my anniversary period is up it'll be bye bye to Egg. I also have an Egg Money that I clear each month to build up cashback.

DJ
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    Options
    Would you offer somebody money knowing you are never going to get any interest back?

It would be like taking out a loan, giving it to a friend and not geting any interest back, despite your own costs.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The anniversary offer is no use now there is a fee, but the Egg card is useful at other times as a SBT card. When there is no offer on there is no fee for balance transfers, so then you can use Egg as a mule to get interest-free BTs from other cards into your bank account.
  • adrianwood
    adrianwood Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Same here the only reason I was keeping my egg card was for the annual benefit of moving money around fee free for the anniversary period but this no longer exists and now carries a fee of 2.5% I have cancelled mine today too!
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rafter wrote:
    Would you offer somebody money knowing you are never going to get any interest back?

It would be like taking out a loan, giving it to a friend and not geting any interest back, despite your own costs.

R.
    So why not pull the the plug on offer altogether then? It would be more honest than pretending that EGG are giving something for nothing after introducing these uncapped fees for the anniversary offer.
  • Meryem_2
    Meryem_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting, maybe I just slipped through the net then.
  • GreyPilgrim
    GreyPilgrim Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Options
    Rafter wrote:

R.

Isn't it the point that they'll make the offer to x thousand of people in the full knowledge that whilst maybe a couple of hundred of debt savvy people will take full advantage of the offer and just use the 0% offer to their full advantage...the rest of the population will transfer a balance across and then continue to make purchases on the card, thus tying themselves in for a much longer period and earning Egg a nice set of interest charges

(*takes off Hat Of Cynicism*)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport