🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Laptop Insurance or Repair?

Options
Hi Everyone

I've got a 2 year old Advent laptop which is still in good working order...apart from the 2 lines going right through the screen which I believe were caused by my darling daughter dropping the laptop off the arm of the sofa onto the floor.

I've been told by a guy in Currys that this is pixel damage and will cost more for a repair than replacing the laptop. Does anyone know if this is right? And if it does need replacing would I be able to claim on the household insurance as it was accidental damage?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I definately can't afford to replace it.

Thanks

Comments

• Lord_Blue
    Options
    He's likely right that it'd cost more to repair than replace. However, it depends on a lot of factors including how old it is etc.

As for insurance - it would be covered by accidental damage...if you have that on your policy. Best to check your policy docs.
  • totalsolutions
    Options
    Might be just a loose screen connector under the hood.
  • Astec
    Astec Posts: 515 Forumite
    Options
    I'd take it to an independant repairers for an inspection. Could just be a bad connection as mentioned. A new screen at full price would be expensive, but some repairers can get cheaper parts.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    if it is the screen then dont bother with the repair. itll cost at about 150/250 to repair.
    tescos has new lappys from 299 quid.
    Get some gorm.
  • sallylouise12
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Just a quick note to say thanks for the replies, as always the forum has proved very useful!
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    saw a sign in pcworld today.
    all laptop repairs, from 229 quid!
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Get some gorm.
  • DVardysShadow
    Options
    Might be just a loose screen connector under the hood.
    It matches the symptoms to a degree.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mogadon
    mogadon Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had to get a new screen fitted on my Dell laptop last month, it's about 2 1/2 years old and the repair cost £125. It was barely worth it, but I couldn't get the extra together to buy a new one, and it was a good spec when it was bought, so it's roughly equivalent to the bottom of the range one I'd have bought to replace it. I also have other accessories I've bought for it, so I went for the repair in the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport