Customer service? Customer rights? Not according to Egg

Options
Hi there-

I'm still reeling from shock from the way Egg treated me yesterday. I closed my account over a year ago, but they allowed a payment to go through from a company which had my old Egg card details. I phoned to query this after Egg had taken a minimum payment from my account, and was told that even if an account is closed, a subscription can still be debited. Thing is, this payment wasn't a subscription - and the thought of anyone being able to charge a card which has been closed seems ludicrous.

I then said I'd like to pay the amount in full, but obviously not the interest, due to the situation. After being put on hold for ten minutes, I was told in no uncertain terms that I had to pay the interest. After all the hassle! Another 15 minute wrangle ensued with me protesting at a closed account being charged and their blatant lack of customer services but to no avail. I then acquiesced and said I'd pay the full amount but wanted a letter from them detailing exactly why they'd charged a closed account, so I could then take it to the company which made the charge. The representative then told me they could send me a statement (after another ten minutes on hold) at the cost of £2.

It gets better. I then told them I wanted all my details removed from their systems as I wanted nothing more to do with the company and this was refused, as apparently their regulation states that you need to keep customer information even if they no longer have an account.

I don't know about you all, but I'm absolutely appalled by this situation. Isn't it my right to say when and where my details will be?

Any advice in contesting this would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is possible for you to set up a 'continuous payment authority' on a credit card.

These are used for things like internet subscriptions, AA memberships etc and mean that your account can be billed year after year without getting the card details from you again.

It is YOUR responsibility to cancel this type of payment and even if you close your credit card account this type of transaction will be passed to you.

If you are willing to pay for it, presumably you acknowledge this?

It isn't eggs fault you forgot to change the billing arrangement for this item is it?

Simply pay the bill, either cancel the subscription or give them some new account details.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From the Egg T&C's
    20.5 After this Agreement has ended you should ensure that no Transactions are made and that any continuous payment authorities or standing instructions are cancelled by telling the recipient of the payment to cancel them.
    EDIT: I'd advise making your request to the recipient in writing.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    so what if transactions come through after your account is closed?
    Do you expect EGG to cough up continually.
    That would be a gret wheeze wouldn't it.

If you called them and had a query and they had wiped your details or they could provide no evidence to help you with a claim.
    How would you feel?

I think you are a bit upset and not thinking it through properly.
  • merch
    merch Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    A CPA will go through even if you cancel the card that you have given the CPA to - you need to cancel this with the company that you gave it to.

A bank must keep records for a significant period under anti-money laundering rules and under contract law they will want to keep the high level details for at least 6 years after the contract has ended as the law of limitations allows either side to make a claim against the other within 6 years from the date of knowing of the breach.

Why didnt you question it when the statement first came in? If you had paid it off then then you wouldnt have had any interest to pay.

Take it as a lesson and pay it off and next time remember to change any payment authorities you have created.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport