Elcetric Chair

Options
Hi I do not know if this is the right forum and if not could someone guide me to the right place.

My grandad has been told he has cancer. We don't know how long he has but want to make whatever time he does have as comfortable as possible. He is having great trouble getting up and down from his armchair and I know there are ones about that are electric and help you up. Does anyone know of any charities or organisations that provide funding to get one of these or anywhere we could get a cheap one
Thank you

Comments

• jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried Social Services? They might not do them, but worth a go in the first instance. They may at least know of charities and things.

Freecycle is always worth a go. A long shot, yes, but you never know!
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • Lorne
    Lorne Posts: 770 Forumite
    Options
    Go to social work or speak to his district nurse. They should be able to access chairs they can lend him through their joint equipment store and will be able to properly assess one for his needs. Be careful at just buying one off the shelf, it needs to be properly fitted for him so that he is comfortable and is of a height that he can get out of easily.
    Thanks for the advice Martin! :money:
    Member no. 920 - Proud to be dealing with our debts
  • travelling1
    travelling1 Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2009 at 9:00PM
    Options
    You need to contact Social Services and refer him to an Occupational Therapist. Ask for an urgent chair raise and inform them that he has cancer. That should make his referral urgent. They will raise his existing armchair.

Also, you could contact the local Hospice and ask if they do riser/recliner chair loan system, some do and others don't.

Alternatively, try the MacMillan fund (0808 808 0000), sometimes they give grants out for such things. I do believe that they are means tested, but I'm not 100% about this....most things are though!

For cheap riser/recliner chairs have a look in the local newspaper adverts. I would recommend one that fully reclines so that he can also sleep in it in the need arises. I would take him to have a look at it so he can try it for size. For an average person (5'3"-5'6") the floor to seat height when sat on it needs to be 18/19" high so that his legs do not swing or so that his knees aren't around his neck!

If your Grandad is on Income Support he may be eligible for a Community Care Grant, you can print the application form off the net, but if I recall it's about 54 pages long. It isn't quick to get the grant though.
  • arcalis
    arcalis Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If he has served in the military no matter how long, SSAFFA would definitely help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure