No signal from aerials

Options
New house, aerial point in each room - great I thought. Except I can't get a signal on any of them.

From the roof there is a cable from the aerial to each room sprouting out of what looks to be a booster mounted at the base of the mast. I've tried a 2nd booster from the socket in each room and still nothing.

Any idea what could be wrong before I call the pros in?

Cheers,
FB

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Builders have a habit of running cables but not actually connecting them to anything, take the cover off and check they are actually connected.

Is there any power to the aerial booster, if it is a masthead amplifier there should be a power supply unit that sends 12v up one of the co-ax cables somewhere.
  • timmmers
    timmmers Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    Builders have a habit of running cables but not actually connecting them to anything, take the cover off and check they are actually connected.

Is there any power to the aerial booster, if it is a masthead amplifier there should be a power supply unit that sends 12v up one of the co-ax cables somewhere.

Some masthead boosters use the coax outlet sockets for power too... looks a loy like audio sockets do.

Where dos the cale run ? Outside, or into the loft ? It may be worth a look up there to make sure all is undamaged too.

Often the guys who instal the sockets can't check them due to no power ,,no excuse for not metering them though really.

t
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 November 2009 at 9:59AM
    Options
    timmers is right - Masthead amplifiers usually have some sort of power supply unit that sends voltage up the coax cable (same one the signal comes down). If the power supply isn't connected or isn't on you will get no signal at all.

There should be something like this in the setup somewhere....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44214
  • foolishboy
    Options
    Thanks everybody, it was indeed a missing power supply! Thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure