We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Knitting For Cash

Options
I am a single mum and have plenty of time in the evenings by myself to try and make money so wondered if anyone knew of companies who pay folk to knit or sew for them? Or even some advice on how I'd start designing knitwear for companies (or even myself). I could do with some help as I desperately need some extra cash.

Comments

• lauraj87
    lauraj87 Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    Well you could knit baby clothes and sell tham on ebay, even sell them personalised with initials on or something to be more appealing than the competition?
    Member of Quidco and Dooyoo

Working on building some savings for 2013
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,815 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Several years ago I used to knit cardigans and jumpers for a local shop. As you know, it takes many hours to knit even the simplest jumper, and when I decided to finish, was receiving £20 per garment.

Luckily Mohair yarn was popular when I knitted for people, the garments quickly grew as Mohair is usually knitted on larger needles. However, whether you are following plain chunky wool patterns or 4 ply intricate lacy designs (which take hours) the pay was still the same! They also need to be made up, necklines completed, and buttons sewn on.

I did so many I felt like I never wanted to see another knitting needle again!

Crocheted patterns grown faster if you could find work in that line. Otherwise, designing your own garments and selling on Ebay may be an option.

Good luck
  • nikongirl
    Options
    Hand knitting is unlikely to be very profitable. I feel like crying every time I look on sites like etsy and see people underpricing their work. Think about how long it takes to make a garment and multiply that by the minimum wage. If you think someone would pay that amount for it then give it a try.

What's potentially far more profitable is selling your own knitting patterns via Ravelry. There are a few very talented designers who make a good living out of it but they're very much the exception - for most people it's probably a welcome bit of pocket money.

Sewing might be quicker and therefore more profitable, especially if it's on a machine.
  • wigglebeena
    Options
    Could you design clothes and sweaters for dolls? A lot of grown women are obsessed with dollies! (If you sell on Etsy be careful about actually naming the doll a garment is made for, e.g. Barbie, some manufacturers are touchy about it.) Should be quicker than knitting for people!
  • mrsyardbroom
    Options
    When my parents retired they earned an extra income from knitting. My father designed the knitwear and produced it on a knitting machine while my mother did all the sewing up. They thoroughly enjoyed themselves. They used to have a stall at a regular WI market and they also knitted garments to order. One of the most popular items was a hat scarf and mitts set and they couldn't make enough of these at Christmas time. They used a machine because hand knitting took so long it wouldn't have been profitable. They bought their wool in bulk as it was much cheaper that way.
    Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:
  • kessik
    kessik Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    There are sites for crafters (I came across one recently, something with chickens in the name - sounds mad but it's true!) and there were people actually advertising for knitters on there. I think you probably send in a tension square first and go from there. I will try to find the site again and post it.
  • kessik
    kessik Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    Found it! It was hens, not chickens! http://www.laughinghens.com/knitting-forums/
  • rosepink1984
    Options
    I'm quite interested to know how you get on. I've been making flower corsage brooches, like in my avatar, to sell on ebay, but haven't sold any yet. Hopefully it will work. Have you had any success yet with your knitting?

I'm thinking of trying etsy and folksy too but not really sure about it, anyone sold on there? Any good?
    "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together."
    Sealed pot challenge no.576 Loose change pays your debt challenge #2 no.1 Wannabe flylady
    Weight lost since 9 June 2009: [STRIKE]5.5[/STRIKE] 6 lbs
  • wigglebeena
    wigglebeena Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Options
    Etsy has better sales than most alternatives to Ebay, and is cheaper to list than Ebay. Haven't tried Folksy.
  • rosepink1984
    Options
    Thanks! Great to know! I've opened an etsy shop now which is exciting and scary!
    "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together."
    Sealed pot challenge no.576 Loose change pays your debt challenge #2 no.1 Wannabe flylady
    Weight lost since 9 June 2009: [STRIKE]5.5[/STRIKE] 6 lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family